Author Topic: Paralex set at 75 yards?  (Read 429 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Paralex set at 75 yards?
« on: September 18, 2005, 04:56:39 PM »
I have noticed on several 2x7 power scopes that the paralex is set at 75 yards.  I would like to know what effect this might have on say a 300 yard shot?
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
Paralex set at 75 yards?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 11:16:19 AM »
Parallax only effects a shot if your eye position is not centered in the scope. There is no direct answer to the question because it depends on how far off the center of the view you are. In most cases you would never experience maximum parallax error because you more than likely wont be at the extreme out edge of the view shooting.

The biggest problem with a scope thats set parallax free at a closer distance is how blury it will be at longer distances. For example, I set the parallax on a scope for a friend who's shooting crossbow at 30yds and now the view is extremely blurry past 100yds...

If the scope is set parallax free at 75yds, its more than likely designed for intermediate closer range shots. If your going to do alot of shooting at 300yds, I would go with a scope set parallax free at 100yds, that way you have the best of both worlds for both close and longer range shooting. Obviously your not trying to shoot one hole groups or you wouldnt be using a 2-7.... I personally favor a 2-7 for 50-300yd big game hunting...

MO

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Paralex set at 75 yards?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 07:15:16 AM »
The plan for the 2x7 power scope need is to put it on a 376 Steyr and to use it for hunting Hogzilla and timber elk in Wyoming but as usual in most hunting there can be some long range shots encountered. The hog hunting will happen at night so I like the idea of an illuminated reticle. The 376 I am putting together on a Mauser action will weigh around 8.5 pounds and recoil will be up there a bit past the 338.  I am extremely tempted by the Mueller 2x7.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.