Author Topic: Model 70...help?  (Read 761 times)

Offline mid-western

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hoosier Hoofprints
Model 70...help?
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:39:42 PM »
My 300 wsm model 70 stainless classic just will not shoot better than 4" at 100 yds....and that's on a good day.  And I have had other shooters at the range try it too.  So, it's not just me.  I had a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope on it originally, with Burris mounts and rings.  I recently replaced it with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 (Boone & Crocket reticle) and that didn't help.  
  It is the same with 180 gr. and 150 gr. rounds.  I have shot Federal Premium ($42/box) shells, Winchester Supreme ballistic tip, and Winchester Power Point shells...none of them will pattern like I think it should.  
  This is the first center fire rifle I've owned and I thought...maybe it won't shoot like my .22's or my .17hmr (They are tack drivers).  But I know other hunters who have the same set-up and consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yds.
  I did take a 15" Antelope with it at 218 yds but it didn't hit close to where I put the cross hairs.  The first shot took out his throat, costing me a new cape, and I had put it right behind his shoulder.
  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Model 70...help?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:32:55 AM »
Have you tried any 165 grainers! Do you know someone who can reload for you to test COLs?

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
Model 70...help?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:47:33 PM »
Call up winchester and tell them this problem... it might be a "bad" lemon, they might replace the barrel for you if they find anyting wrong with it.... I am assuming this is a new rifle right ? you should still have some kind of warrenty with it

Winchester is not usually known of making bad lemons, so Call them and see what they'll say.  They most likly will ask you to ship it to them and they will take a look at it

Offline KN

Model 70...help?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »
Before I did any thing I would re-crown it. I can't begin to count the number of new barrels I have seen that had bad crowns.  KN

Offline mid-western

• Hoosier Hoofprints
Model 70...help?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 02:29:43 AM »
I called Winchester and they told me to send my rifle to them and they would correct the ptoblem.   :-)  Now all I have to do is figure how to mail it...lol. :lol:

PA-Joe...not to sound stupid, but what does COLs stand for?  I've never reloaded yet...thinking about starting though.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
Model 70...help?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »
Go to a drug store or some retail store... as them to give you 2 empty long boxes (so u put the rifle in 1 box, and put that box inside of another box) ... also put some foam in it... that way when those UPS guys knock around that box...it woun't hurts the rifle