Author Topic: Fanny Packs  (Read 772 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Fanny Packs
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »
Does anyone here use a fanny pack for CC?

On one hand it seems to me that they would scream "concealed gun"  but on the other they are handy.  

One of our local Police detectives uses one in the Summer but since I don't know him well I have never talked to him about it.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline rockbilly

Fanny Packs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 04:30:23 PM »
8) I know several people who use them.  I agree with you, with the exception of a lady, a man with a fanny pack screams GUN!  But that may be a result of the way most people dress where I live,   You just don't see a lot of "cowboys" with fanny packs, they clash with the boots.

I think if you live in an area where there are tourist and where others OFTEN use fanny packs they would not stand out like they do here.  I like an inside the pants holster, or tucked in the pocket of my jeans.  Several of my jackets have pockets that look like they were designed for a handgun, during the winter they are great.

Offline Savage

Fanny Packs
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »
Guess it depends on who's wearing the fanny pack as to whether it screams "Gun" or not. One things for sure, wearing one around here will get you noticed! You have to carry in such a way as to fit in. If fanny packs are common were you live, then you won't be out of place wearing one. There are too many good options for concealed carry for me to consider one, even if I didn't think they look dorkey.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline briarpatch

Fanny Packs
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »
I have one for a small digital camera. It fits on my belt and I sometimes wear it on the four oclock postion. It is small and comfortable. I carry a kel tec 3at in it . It will go almost unnoticed it is so small.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Fanny Packs
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:31:50 PM »
Depends on where you go. Walking around town would, IMHO, definitely scream 'GUN". However, if going on a road trip where there are tourists, i think that it would blend right in.

However, I would feel uneasy carrying a regular fanny pack because it can be easily unclipped. Instead, there are those that you slide on your belt -- the only way to get them off is to slide it off your belt.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Fanny Packs
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:03:56 AM »
I think the Fanny pack is not the best way to carry. It lets people know you have something. I don't see many guys wearing fanny packs, I think people in general know a guy with a fanny pack is carrying a gun. Me I would never get caught dead with a fanny pack. I would rather print with my holster than wear a fanny pack. JMHO  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Fanny Packs
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:22:27 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I would rather print with my holster than wear a fanny pack. JMHO  :D
In some jurisdictions [sp], printing is grounds for having your CCW revoked.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Fanny Packs
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:50:11 AM »
I have had and have used fanny packs and do not believe they are a good idea.  First, they identify you as carrying a gun or let those who would victimize you think you might be carrying a gun - the problem here is that any resultant attack/assault would be more violent, with the intent of getting your gun, not necessarily your $.  Second - fanny packs are slow to access, especially if an attacker feels that is what they have to get to before they can get you.  

I let the wife carry the fanny pack.  I carry my pistols in my belt.  Mikey.

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Fanny Packs
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 05:51:05 AM »
As Rockbilly said it depends on if your in an area frequented by tourists, such as the zoo.  I like the fanny pack for bigger guns but if Iam wearing shorts and a tee shirt my AMT 45 backup fits in the watch pocket og my jean shorts with the belt over the grips.  I wear a shirt untucked over it.  It is well hidden and easy to access.

Thanks for you replies.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline rockbilly

Fanny Packs
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 06:30:07 AM »
:-D Can't ya just see this.......I bounce outa my truck at the mall, square my fanny pack away and head for the entrance.  I run into Joleane and Bill Bob, she notices my fanny pack and invites me over for tea with her and the girls, Bill Bob starts laughing, I get mad and hit him with my purse, then all hell breaks loose..........Hummmm, take me back to my boots and saddle. :roll:

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Fanny Packs
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 01:35:38 PM »
The scream gun like 5.11 and photo vest do  :-D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Fanny Packs
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 02:03:09 PM »
Quote from: Sir Knight
Quote from: Redhawk1
I would rather print with my holster than wear a fanny pack. JMHO  :D
In some jurisdictions [sp], printing is grounds for having your CCW revoked.

Not in Delaware. Concealed mean covered up. Hidden from plain sight.  :D  I just think a guy with a fanny pack looks kind of girlish.  :-D  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline chris s

Fanny Packs
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 01:37:23 AM »
Pistoleer- Check out DeSantis Discreet Pouch.   I have tried just about every pouch  and this is the best. Many gun people gave it a look and asked if that was a "fanny pack". You know sometimes wearing that 511 vest could be used to your  advantage.

Offline John C-S

• Avid Poster
Fanny or Front Packs
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 03:26:44 PM »
Too obvious. Go for ankle holster in long pants or any other inside waist or what have you. Get a flat gun like a PPK. Carry it anytime anywhere. Any revolver has bulge compared to a Walther. Unsightly. That is if you just want concealed carry w/o worry.

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
Fanny Packs
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 10:33:12 AM »
:D My kids tell me..

Fanny pack on a guy...screams dork!
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline Dave in WV

Fanny Packs
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 03:41:03 PM »
I have one for my SIG P220. I used it when I took our dog to the local park for a walk. I carried the gun more for other dogs than people. As for the bad guys knowing you are packing and taking it it is a possibility. It's also a deterrent to the not so bad guy that is cowardly and will only confront you if he thinks he can get by with it without a fight. I ran into one of those and sliding my hand in the fanny pack made him lose interest in me and my wife fast.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline rockbilly

Fanny Packs
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 04:49:50 PM »
:roll: Ankle holster?  That would be the last resort.....every try to get a gun out of an ankle holster when you need it.  Its a pain in the butt, too much wasted effort.  If you can't pack it any other way, get a smaller pistol that will fit in the pants pocket or under the belt.  They are much easier to get to when you need them.