Author Topic: Drilling and tapping a tracker II barrel  (Read 656 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Drilling and tapping a tracker II barrel
« on: September 01, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »
Has anyone ever had a Tracker II 20ga slug barrel drilled for scope mount?  That's what I intend to do with mine if it is safe to do so.

I didn't want the extra weight of the Ultra.  If it's not safe and I don't like the sights, I'll get a barrel for my mossberg.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 11:59:39 AM »
I have not done this myself but I did have a VERY good smith do it for me.
He would not do my 12 ga tracker as its got allot less metal over the chamber, but the 20 ga is no problem .  So I hunt with the 12 ga (Open sights) as my bush gun and the 20 ga (Scoped) as my open area gun.

Hope this helps.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline john.41

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 04:14:52 PM »
I drilled and tapped my 20 ga. Tracker II. Installed Weaver #82 base. You'll need a variable speed drill press and a vice for the table, also bought a bottoming tap. Measure carefully, there is plenty of steel on the 20 ga.
I wanted a light carry gun and I got it, 6 3/4 lb with scope and sling. Shoots 2.5"-3" at 100 yd with Lightfields. I have'nt tried any hi-tech(expensive) super sabot slugs, these work good enough for me.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 04:31:34 PM »
I have not personally had it done but plan on a similar set up some day. Over the years here and at the old H&R Talk I remember a lot of folks talking about doing it and I don't remember any one expressing a single regret.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline tommy_tsunami

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 06:58:39 PM »
Just a word of caution.... My friend had a 12 gauge Tracker II that he decided to put a scope on. He took it to a gunsmith who drilled and installed an H&R "weaver" style base.

He installed a nice 3x9 on it and shot it a few times. Well, he shot a particularly hot slug one day (can't remember the brand) and without having a good hold on 'er, the scope slammed back, giving him a nice "ring around the eye" .

Well, when that scope hit his brick head, the ENTIRE base and scope came off! You CAN'T believe how much me and my brother were laughing at this dope while he writhed around in pain  

The screws came right out of the threads, trashing the top of his gun. Mind you, this was just the impact of hitting this dude in the face.  :lol:

Think about it

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 01:03:24 PM »
I did one for a buddy of mine some time back. he has shot it countless times with ZERO problems.

I dont remember the base number, but old H&R base I re-radised to fit. I also opened it up to accept 4, 8X40 screws. Then I red locktited everything down.

He has a Burris compact scope on it. (Its all he buys) This scope has very good eye relief so his head is a good 5 inches from the ocular lense.

SO, as you can see, it can be done.
 I have also tapped some of my own for williams peep sites. This one is a old M 158 in 12 ga. I also pruned the barrel back to 19". It is my some-good-gun!!! :grin:

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.