Author Topic: Warm/Hot weather squirel hunting  (Read 452 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Warm/Hot weather squirel hunting
« on: September 12, 2005, 11:20:47 AM »
Man I know Maryland extended the hunting season for squirrel this year but heck its hard to hunt them when its 90' outside.  I think I'll stick to dove hunting when its hot.  Its bad enough sitting in the hot sun waiting for a dove to break over the tree line,, But its another thnig to stomp around the woods looking for bushytails.  And I'm not to sure about the state of the Bot Fly infestion in Maryland this year.  Early part of the last season I hunted here 1 out of every 5 squirrels killed were infested with the bot fly aravie.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 04:18:49 AM »
I hear you Dave.

I've not bought my license yet due to the heat and that Bot Fly we talked about.

I havn't forgotten our plan to meet at the "squirrel woods", just taking advantage of the great weather we've been having to "winterize" everything, spend some time on the scooter and do some target shooting.

We'll catch up soon.

EVOC ONE

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 01:18:37 PM »
Y'all gonna get together for a squirrel hunt? Maybe we should have the east coast version of the PD hunt in the squirrel woods. Hope I can catch up with you guys for some hunting once my job settles down.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 11:44:56 AM »
Markus,
             Your always welcome in my neck of the woods.  Its looks like me and EVOC ONE live about 25 miles from eachother.  And what your 100 miles away?  The three of us should hook up for some hunting this season.  I'm planiing to go out ather some more of the resadent geese Saturday morning.  Then plan on meeting some friends for a afternoon at the range. None of them have shot a 3 1/2 in 12 ga let alone a 10 ga so I'm goona bring my cannons along and let them have at it.  While they are playing with the big shotguns I plan on sighting in my New .45 cal muzzle loader.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:18:58 PM »
I'd love to come over and help you whack some of those residents but I've got work commitments. My work keeps me insane until the end of October and that's when my hunting usually starts. I fear that I might miss a lot of hunting this year due to settling my fathers estate, selling his house, my house and building a new house. Once it's all said and done though I'll be living on my rural property. I'll be able to open a widow and hunt from my living room if I want.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
Ditto what Dave said, Marcus.  

Even with the population migration from D.C. and Baltimore, the public hunting areas up here are pretty decent for squirrel hunting.

EVOC ONE

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »
How do you hunt them over there? I've always walked and looked but a lot of folks talk about sitting still and waiting for them. I've seen a lot that way while sitting in a deer stand but never hunted them that way. We have always had plenty in our woods.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 10:09:42 AM »
Markus,
             I do a litle of both.  I'll walk the woods and if I see alot of sign I'll sit down and wait about 20-30 minutes if I don't see anything I'll keep moving.  I cover alot of ground while I'm squirrel hunting.  Good boots and a bottle of water and I'm good to go.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
I do both as well.  But I have located a couple spots that have been good for a couple years now.  One is about a half acre on a knoll.  Lots of big oaks and mountain laurel.  There, I may move around few feet or so, now and again, but sometimes they are running so frequently that I'll stay in one spot and wait.  When that happens, I let them lay where they fall, if I can see where they land.  

There's a location out in Western Md. that has fire roads cut through it.  I've had good luck working those roads slowly.  

With squirrel, I've found that they seem to respond to sudden/quick  movement.  Not a scent, like deer.  If you move slow or sit somewhat still(not like a statue) and don't make jerky motions, your generally going to do alright.  

EVOC ONE