Author Topic: Nikon Monarch ATB VS. Leupold Windriver Cascade  (Read 695 times)

Offline dukeflr

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon Monarch ATB VS. Leupold Windriver Cascade
« on: October 18, 2005, 04:49:10 PM »
I've been lurking around here for a while now, and appreciate everyone's knowledge.  I would like anyone's opinion on choosing between the two.  I would also welcome other recommendations as well.  I have decided on 10x42 roof prism due to the fact I live in texas and hunt primarily in open country.  I would prefer to stay around the $300 range but could stretch a little higher if needed.   I know the european glass is superb but the wife isn't going to let me part with a month's wages on something she has seen in wally world for $30.  I have held both the Nikon and the Windriver and am torn between the two.  I am somewhat loyal to american companies but liked the nikon's focus knob and eyecups better.  I think my tough decision will be based on your opinions!  

Thanks,
Duke

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Nikon Monarch ATB VS. Leupold Windriver Cas
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:09:46 PM »
Most American companies have their lower cost binoculars made overseas, Leupold included.

Stay away from the Wind River Cascades, they are not phase corrected.  For a 10x42mm phase corrected roof prism for around $300 look at the Nikon Monarch ATB, Bushnell Legend, Wind River Olympic, Celestron Noble, Audubon Equinox HP, Swift Ultra Lite Roof and Vortex Stokes Broadwing.

If you spend just a little more you can make a significant jump up in quality with the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class, Celestron Regal LX, Bushnell Discoverer or the Wind River Pinnacles.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:58:58 AM »
I would recommend the same thing.  I would go with the Monarchs due to the phase coating.  This will give you better contrast and imaging than the cascades.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:18:22 AM »
For around $475 you can get Nikon 8 or 10X32 refub LX's. That extra $175 will be the best money you ever spend. The LX's are premium bino's at discount prices. By the way I live in Southern Idaho with wide open spaces and I use the 8x32's. The 8's have a wider field of view, and are just easier to hold and look through for longer periods of time. Anything past about 1/2 mile and you need a spotting scope to see horn tines anyway.