Author Topic: can ultra/handi handle new "magnum" type loads?  (Read 368 times)

Offline Jeff-B

• Trade Count: (0)
can ultra/handi handle new "magnum" type loads?
« on: September 16, 2005, 11:01:46 AM »
i've noticed a few reloaders on here saying that hindi/ultra like low pressure loads .does that mean that i shouldn't use the new "magnum" type loads from federal ,hornady and such? im thinking of getting the 30-06 ultra and i thought the extra kick from the "mags" would be nice if i ever run up on one of the elk straying into va from west va ,or extra confidence if i went for bear.  
   love this site and forum inparticular...thanks greybeard

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
can ultra/handi handle new "magnum&quo
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »
Any animal you shoot with a 30-06 will never be able to tell weither or not you were using light mag ammo or el cheap-o winchester.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 11:38:26 AM »
Current production H&R/ NEF firearms are safe to fire, with any commercially available load. Having said that, I have seen some open upon firing those particular loads.
  My personal 30-06 Ultra was bought used. They guy who owned it before, shot it ONCE and it opened upon firing. So he brought it right back to the store for a refund. The store would not give him his money back, they only offered to return it to the factory. I happened to be there, so we struck a deal, and I bought it for a good price!
 I, returned it to the factory. When it returned, they said what I told you in my opening sentence.  :o  
It has never done this to me. BUT I don't fire over the counter loadings, I load my own. I shoot 55 grs of IMR4350 behind a Speer 165 RN. I haven't chronographed that load in that rifle.
That exact load has been my fathers recipe  for the 30/06 for as long as I can remember. It has never failed to bring home the venison.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 06:18:36 PM »
Well said, Krochus!

EVOC ONE

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 04:03:54 AM »
I have never heard or read that the hot load factory ammo exceed SAAMI pressures for a 30-06.  Technically, it could be done (but dont do it) because the 30-06 is limited in the specification world to lower pressures than the 270 or 25-06.  But, it think the ammo makers are using powders or combinations of powders that are formulated to keep the pressure near max for a longer time period, compared to the powders used in typical factory loads or available to reloaders.  This technique can be applied to all cartrides, look up and down the reloading tables and see how velocity is not directly related to peak pressure for variuos powders.  All powders have a sweet spot in application (expansion ratio, bullet wieght, etc) that will produce max velocity for all other things being equal.  Most important is how accuracy is affected considering normal variances in the ammo production, or temperature, or your guns barrel harmonics and most importantly the flinch  :lol: