Author Topic: Smith & Wesson rifle scopes  (Read 1093 times)

Offline wolfsong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Smith & Wesson rifle scopes
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:02:30 PM »
Any one out there able to tell me if a S & W 6-24x42adjustable/tactical target/varmint/long range scope can handle the blast from a 30.06 or 8mm? Got a chance to pick one up new fore a great price but can't seem to find out if it can stand up to a big gun. i never shoot anything over a 180 gr round. Any opinions? Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »
I haven't seen any of their scopes but their pocket knives are not very good.  I bought several last year to give away as Christmas presents.  You couldn't put an edge on them with a grinder; they were terrible.  The scopes are probably made in China like their kinves.  Nothing wrong with that as Muellers are made in China.  The Mueller is the best scope I own.  Some of the Chinese stuff is absolute junk though.  Be careful and research any reviews.  Winchester is doing the same thing by selling their name and putting it on scopes and knives.  I think the Smith and Wesson stuff is simalar.  The only company I know of that cares about the quality of their name is Browning.  The Browning scopes are good stuff from what I've seen at Cabelas.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 04:10:16 PM »
S&W scopes are made in Japan by Hakko, they are a bit heavy and long, but optically pretty good, but not as good as the retail price would infer though, they can be bought for less than $200 on closeout at CDNN. I have 5 of them, they serve me well. For the money though, Mueller scopes are better even if they are made in China, but considering Muellers have Japanese glass in them, it's no surprise.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/SWOptics/RifleScopes.asp

http://cdnninvestments.com/smithwesson2.html

Wolfsong, if you're interested in a good scope in that power range, Mueller is releasing a new non-illuminated scope in a 8.5-25x44 Mildot in a couple weeks, price should be around $150, if you can wait....
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
If they are made by Hakko then they are good stuff.  Hakko makes some good scopes.  Heck just about anything with Japanese glass is clear.  Good Luck

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 04:05:23 AM »
Why in the world would you put a 6x-24x on a .30-06?  Are you going to be using it for long range shooting matches?

As for the scope, I was given two, one in the 3.5x-10x range, and the other in the 4x-16x range (I forget the exact numbers).  I have the higher mag scope on a CZ 452 American in .17HMR.  It is definately long and heavy, but I only use it for plinking and longer range shooting at the range.  I have the 3.5x-10x model on a .264 Win mag, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Still, I believe that these scopes should at least be able to handle the recoil of a .30-06.

Zachary

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »
HeyZachery, You're right, I've thought about it and asked the same question; decided it would be better suited on my 22.250 for coyotes, rather than deer hunting in the Sierras. If I had drawn an Eastern Sierra tag in mule deer sage brush territory, it would be different, but I will be hunting the Western side this year. So far i haven't heard any real negative comments that would indicate that the  S&W scopes  aren't worth it, just have to wait and see... I've owned bargain scopes and expensives ones, and there can be good results and bad with either. I appreciate your input. Thanks, and shoot straight. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 01:38:36 AM »
Quote from: theath29803
If they are made by Hakko then they are good stuff.  Hakko makes some good scopes.  Heck just about anything with Japanese glass is clear.  Good Luck

I dont think that is necessarily true.
We had Hakko build us a custom 2-7 and although it had potential, it did not meet our expectations. We made them aware of it and never heard from them again...
Millett also had problems with them:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/scoping_out.htm

And ScopesNMore dropped a few of their models because of quality issues. See the bottom of this page:
http://www.scopesnmore.com/riflescopes4less/rifle/hakko_rifle_scopes.htm

I have seen and heard about other issues as well.

MO

Offline lancer1558

Smith & Wesson Rifle Scopes
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »
I have a S&W riflescope (3x9x42). Optically very good and clear.
I am thinking about buying another S&W.
Gary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 04:32:54 AM »
Their binos are bottom-end.....why would their scopes be any different?