Author Topic: 1200 action opening  (Read 839 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
1200 action opening
« on: October 15, 2005, 12:20:35 PM »
Well I finally shot my 1200 riot gun today and it was defective at least in my mind after every shot the action opened about 3/4 of the way. I shot about 12 times with trap loads and it happened every time. Now I took it back got my money back but the gun shop guys said it did not do it for them. I know what I seen and it to me was not normal. The guy first tried to tell me that it was Winchesters assisted opening but I find it hard to believe that it should open 3/4 of the way open and that was with light trap loads I would bet a heavy load would have opened it up all the way. Any one else se this happen?
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
1200 action opening
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:24:32 PM »
my 1300 did that too...winchester designed the rotary lug on the bolt to unlock and be slid backward by the recoil.

in fact if you shoot it without holding the forearm it will come the whole way back and eject the shell.

the idea is to speed up your next shot.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 02:30:38 PM »
Well talked to the gunsmith and he told me that if that plastic piece on the end of the trigger assembly breaks they are pretty much junk as they are next to impossible to fix according to my gunsmith.  so I am glad I got my money back I do not like guns that cannot be fixed. Now I heard that about the 1300's but wonder if the 12's were the same?

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 04:31:29 PM »
Matt I had a 1200 once before way back for a couple of weeks and I did not remember the bolt doing that. Also the gun shop said it was supposed to do that yet when they shot it they told me then it was not doing that so something was fishy about the whole thing.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
1200 action opening
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 05:21:00 PM »
what plastic piece are you talking about?

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 08:57:56 AM »
Between the trigger assembly and the magazine tube. The Gunsmith told me if they break you cannot replace them even though you can get the part the company presses the mag tube in place and once out you cannot get it to fit back in place. I suppose a newer 1300 or 1400 made by the current Co they  would fix it but I doubt they would fix the older 1200's that they did not make.

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
1200 action opening
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 05:15:55 AM »
I have not stripped down either my 1200 or 1300 since there has been no compelling need to but they both seem to have a lot of commonality. I suspect that there may be more interchangeability beyond the barrels.

Am curious about the pump handle coming back though. Were you grasping the forearm during the shot and if so, were you exerting any force towards or away from your body?

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 06:31:24 PM »
I was holding the pump normally and I found out it does it with light trap loads more so than heavy loads which would explain why the gun shop could not get it to do it as they were using heavier loads. No matter I am used to my 870 and this just did not feel right to me. If you did not hold on to the pump it would still open up.  So does your pumps do that or not?

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
1200 action opening
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 07:44:45 PM »
with better choices out there why mess with a gun you're uncomfotable with?  use and 870, BPS, Nova, or even a winchester made back when they still made good pumps (Model 12).

The only 1200s and 1300s I've been around were cheap guns that performed as such.

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:36 PM »
I am not that is why I am shooting my 870. I just bought this gun as I thought I was getting a good deal. I guess not. I should know better I had  one years ago for about three weeks and traded it off because I did not like it. Bought a Mossberg and they are not bad guns but I did not care for them either. I grew up shooting a Model 12  16 guage but I have to say the 870 is as nice a shotgun. I am very happy with mine.

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
1200 action opening
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 07:30:17 AM »
Was it used? I have never heard of a gun shop taking back a gun. I have a model 1200 and have shot all kinds of loads in it. the rotory bolt does unlock when a shell is fired. I have never noticed the slide coming back 3/4 of the travel though, but it does unlock every time the trigger is pulled whether it is loaded or not.

Offline jh45gun

1200 action opening
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 09:48:33 PM »
Yep they took it back but then I have bought lots of guns over the years there so they know me pretty good. From what I have heard so far light loads open it up better than heavy loads do that does not make sense to me but the sytem must allow for heavier loads??? DO not know it is water under the dam now as I do not have it anymore.