Author Topic: handi rifle first timer  (Read 555 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
handi rifle first timer
« on: September 17, 2005, 05:03:13 PM »
you guys have raved about these for so long and so affectionately that i have decided to buy one.

even GB has one, and he is admittedly not won over easily and so apparently you guys are on to something and so here i go.

i am looking for something to complement my .204 and .243. i need a deer caliber and was thinking of .270 or maybe .25-06.

.270 is more widely carried i know but what do you guys think? i also dont want to sink a ton of money into this so if someone has a used one they would wanna sell please PM me. as always,  "Firearms must be shipped FFL to FFL or sold face to face in state when and where legal."

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline mjbgalt

handi rifle first timer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »
would also consider .30-30 since its cheap to shoot and is ok to 200 yards on deer. is this a common barrel or do i need to scrounge for one?

-Matt

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 05:47:26 PM »
What kind of deer do you have that you can't kill with a .243?  Used to be that any respectiable deer would die just fine when shot with a 25-20, so they must have gotten a lot bigger since I was young.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline mjbgalt

handi rifle first timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »
:D  point taken.

how about if i explain that the idea behind this was that the .243 is the largest gun i have and that what i like to do is overlap so each of my guns backs the other up, an idea i got from jack o'connor's writings.

i have a .22 and .17hmr which can each others jobs, and then a .204 and .243 which can both be for varmints. the .243 can shoot deer but for bigger than deer, such as elk, etc...i wanted something bigger.

plus i also want a shiny new toy and i dont think anyone can blame me for that one.  :)  :)

-Matt

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 09:01:23 PM »
I am partial to...well...I'm partial to them all :) But I really do like the versatility of the 26" 25-06 With the right bullets it shoots very flat...with the right bullets...PD's to Elk...and that 26" barrel......well....if I change my mind...it can become something else...like a 270 or a  338-06(opps...my bad...:oops: I already did that with another one)maybe even a 375-06... ...or something smaller...hmmmmmmmm....maybe...just maybe...?Naaaa...I like my new 25-06...I think I'll keep it the way it is for a while...then we'll see  :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 09:22:19 PM »
If you don't mind input from a rude old man: I think the 30-30 would be an excellant choice for several reasons:

1) Tradition, everyone should have one. (Or two, or three, etc)
2) Enough rifle to perform your task of deer at 200 yards.
3) Ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap.
4) One of the easiest calibers to get a Handi to shoot accurate.(Along
    with the 45-70)
5) Is a rimmed case, which some feel Handis prefer.
6) Once fired brass is everyware and cheap. (if handloading)
7) Reloading data and components are everywhere. (if handloading)
8)This caliber takes very well to cast loads. (if handloading)

On a further note: Although a lot of elk have put down with the 30-30, many would feel it is a little on the light side for this game. But, we all need shiny new toys to just enjoy. And I think the 30-30s (of all types) shine at this. I feel it is the perfect plinking caliber. More authority then the pistol rounds, but will not beat the stuffing out you on a long day at the range.

And, since this will be your first Handi: WARNING: If you are looking for a rifle that will alway shoot as desired right of the box, be prepared for a surprise. Some of them take some tinkering before some issues can be overcome. But, the 30-30, along with the 45-70, are probably the least likely to need that tinkering. Research some of the posts on issues that have shown up. There is lots of experience on this forum, and all will be willing to invest their time and experience to help if any issues do show up.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites. And, you can always add more calibers. By the way, welcome to the club of Handi fans.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »
I may not be rude, as mt3030 claims he is :D  (or at least I'm not admitting to it  :wink:  )  I agree with him that the 30/30 Handi would be a great choice.

For all the reasons Wally said - I add one more - a 30/30 was my first Handi, and because I realized I could (and should) use pointed bullets in it, it lead me into reloading - so there is a nostalgic reason I add to his practical ones.

Bottom line though, whatever you choose expect to have some fun with it!

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »
Because a 30-30 Handi can use pointy bullets, it's effectiveness is greatly increased.   If you get close enough, handloaded 165gr Partitions would probably do just fine on Elk.  
Another option for the 30-30 is running it out to 30-30 Improved.  I think? going to 30-30 Improved is a pretty simple job.  Run a finishing reamer through it and you're done.  You gain 10-15% over regular 30-30 ammo and you can fireform cases using regular factory loads.

FWIW

Buying one Handi/NEF can get to be a problem.  I bought a BC last month.  Swore I would stop......but...I saw the 17HMR Sportster at Bi-Mart and bought it last Friday.  This of course means buying new scopes and other goodies.  I'm pretty sure there is going to be a centerfire varmint barrel and a 22LR barrel coming home in the next few months.  Quickdtoo's adventures with the BC and his 338-06 and 405 Winchester conversions don't help matters either.  So many Handis, so little time.    

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Badnews Bob

handi rifle first timer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 04:30:01 AM »
7MM 08 would fit your niche nicly as would the .280 and a .357 reamed out to a max is just so much fun to shoot.( plus if you go that route you got a reason to start reloading and casting) 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 04:30:22 AM »
mjbgalt:

You see...you have more than a couple choices..but..if your interested in a 25-06 or a 270...both will serve you well.The 45-70 and the 30-30 are great in a Handi.I've had both and kept the 45-70..it is one I won't part with,but like you having a good long range deer gun is a priority as well. The 25-06 is a easy caliber to load for,and from what I've seen is just as accurate out of the box.Some have had problems with them,but it is pretty easy to tell which one is going to give you fits before you buy it.Use a feeler gauge on it and see how much headspace you have before purchasing it.I usually carry a good set of feeler gauges with me and whenever I run across a nice used Handi..I check them.If they lock up on a .002" feeler gauge to start..I know in all likelyhood they will do just fine.

It's a hard choice if you don't know...but ..all of the normal calibers makes fine Handi's...the 25-06,270,7-08,280,30-30,308,30-06,44 mag 444 Marlin 450 Marlin 45-70...and I would venture to say the 500 S&W...it all depends on what caliber you like and how far away you want to be able to shoot. My favorites are the 45-70 for closer shots 175 yards and in...and the 25-06 and the 270 for those longer ones..so you see...your just going to have to get more than one...and that's a Good Thing :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
handi rifle first timer
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 04:55:47 AM »
270, 280 or 308 would be ones I would consider. Nothing wrong with 7mm-08 or 25-06 either.........