Author Topic: 5.7 Johnson  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
5.7 Johnson
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:26:46 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this cartridge? Many have been done on carbines and sometimes work. I would be interested in information from actions other than carbine. Any help appreciated. Thanks
LSF/375

Offline panhandle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • panhandlepr@vierizion.net
5.7 Johnson reply
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:19:19 AM »
Every winter I seem to get involved in one of these wildcat or conversion projects.  Last winter, it happened to be a 22 Spitfire.  The difference between the 5.7 Johnson and the Spitfire is the shoulder angle.  The 5.7 has a 23 degree and the Spitfire has a 26 degree.  4-dproducts.com has reamers to rent for the Spitfire version.  I used Redding forming dies and 2 dies are required as it is done in 2 stages.  I want to explain something about the dies before I go any farther with this.  I called the company who supplies Midway with their chamber reamers and discovered that there was a  difference between the two.  They were the folks who told me about the different shoulder angles.  I then called Bruce Merkur at Redding and he didn't know there was a difference.  After checking their blueprints, they found they were stamping their dies 5.7 Johnson but the shoulder was 26 degree for the Spitfire.  I used the Redding 2 piece die set. Form die #1 is #90401.  Form die #2 is 83401.  This 2nd form die also requires an extended shell holder.  Any questions on this can be directed to Bruce Merkur at Redding, 607-753-331-31.
    I based my rifle on a CZ-USA 527 American in 22 Hornet.  I had the barrel set back 1 1/2 turns and rechambered.  The magazine isn't hard to modify.  My rifle doesn't throw the cases out reliably like it should, but I think that is more of a gunsmith screw-up issue.  I use it for ground squirrels and shoot it as a single shot so it doesn't  bother me.  I really like this cartridge and it performs great on squirrels.  I'm using Winchester brass, CCI BR-2 primes, 13.1 grains of Lil'Gun and the Sierra 40 grain Blitzking and getting 3248 FPS.  I tried using loading data for the 218 Bee as case capacity of water is almost identical, but it seems that data for the K-Hornet is better.  This is also what Cartridges of the World
recomended.