Author Topic: Tracker II or Ultra Slug?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Tracker II or Ultra Slug?
« on: October 03, 2005, 01:47:09 AM »
Should I buy a Tracker II or the Ultra slug. Any difference in accuracy?

Buddy Dave has the Ultra deluxe shoots lightfields Xtra tight.

Options buy Wal mart 12ga fullchoke and have barrel(s) added.

Will they add ultra barrels to standard frames. Already own rifles on SB2 frames is this an option? Still want the shotgun 12 ga fullchoke for slugs and turkey hunting.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:22:55 AM »
I believe the tracker II comes with fixed sights and a stantard size barrel. Your are not supposed to be able to mount a scope on it, but I think some here have done it. The Tracker II is also lighter, so the recoil is worse. The upside is you can swap barrels in 20 and 12 guage.

The Ultra's come with heavy barrels and a weight in the stock. They are heavy, but better on recoil. The also come with a scope mount and no way to use open sights. The 12 guage Ultra use a SB2 frame which is for the 10 guage. The 12 gauge heavy barrels are 10 gauge blanks bored to 12 guage from what I understand. You CANNOT swap barrel on the Ultra 12 guages unless you want a 10 gauge bird barrel. The 20 and 12 guage standard barrels will not fit. Nor will a any of the rifle barrels. As far as having SB2 and putting the 12 gauge heavy barrel on it, I don't know? From what I undderstand the shotgun and centerfire recievers are not interchangable. I could be wrong about that though. I know for a fact you cannot put a centerfire on the shotgun reciever though.

The 12 guages have a 1:35 inch twist in both guns, so accuracy should be pretty much the same. You will just have to find a load it likes.

I would say if you want to be able to swap barrels get the Ultra in a 20 guage rifled barrel. This uses the 12/20 gauge reciever and you will be able to swap other shotgun barrels except the heavy barrel 12 gauge. Or a standard 12 gauge reciever and get the 20 gauge heavy barrel and fore arm.

Good luck,
Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:53:34 PM »
my recomendation would be based on intended use range and hunting method more than the difference in accuracy. I have no 1st hand experience with the ultra slug (yet) but based on what I've read and heard here and elsewhere if I was buying a gun for hunting from a stand it would be the 12ga ultra. If I was walking most of the time it would be the tracker in 12 or 20. If it was and equally split combination of both methods I'd go with a youth model 20ga ultra. As for range I think either of these guns will give you 125-150yds if you do your part.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Re: Tracker II or Ultra Slug?
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 06:38:31 AM »
Should I buy a Tracker II or the Ultra slug. Any difference in accuracy?

No difference in accuracy...and BTW, the Tracker II comes with adjustable rifle sites not fixed sites and a 24" barrel.

Will they add ultra barrels to standard frames. Already own rifles on SB2 frames is this an option? Still want the shotgun 12 ga fullchoke for slugs and turkey hunting.

You can have H&R add 20GA Ultra Slugger, 12 or 20GA Tracker II or pretty much any other shotgun barrel to the SB2 rifle receiver.  The Ultra Slugger 12GA and any 10GA barrels cannot be added to the SB2 though.

Take Marcus's advice to heart...If you are a stand sitter or an occasional walker then I would go with the Ultra Slugger...If you are an all day mover then I would go with the Tracker II...There are competent gun smiths out there that can mount a scope on a Tracker II with no problem.  You just need to find the right smith.

I am a stand type hunter and I use my Ultra Slugger 12GA for hunting whitetail in NYS.  I do occasionally walk around and the US does get a little heavy on the shoulder but I can handle it...No biggee...

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 08:38:10 AM »
I meant OPEN sights, not fixed. My mistake sorry.

So you can add shotgun barrels to the rifle recievers, but not the other way around?

Because the Ultra Slug 12 guages use a SB2 frame, it must be different some  how then?

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »
Quote from: Paul Mohr
I meant OPEN sights, not fixed. My mistake sorry.

No biggee...

So you can add shotgun barrels to the rifle recievers, but not the other way around?

Yup...The shotgun only receivers cannot stand up to the higher pressures exerted by a rifle round.

Because the Ultra Slug 12 guages use a SB2 frame, it must be different some how then?

The Ultra Slug SB2 receiver is a shotgun only receiver.  The SB2 designation can be a little misleading but it is still just a shotgun receiver and not approved for rifle barrels.

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:59:35 AM »
Ok lots of great information and I did a little digging on the Walmart site and found that I can get a tracker II and a 50cal muzzle loader in a package for about 153 dollars Then I can send it in and get a barrel with a choke tube and purchase 3 other kinds of chokes for it. Anybody know if they still have tracker I barrels available? Thanks for the answers. dan'l

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 04:22:02 AM »
Last I heard they had a few 12 and 20 gauge Tracker I barrels left. I say go for it and good luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 05:51:38 AM »
Quote from: DanielWGriggs
Ok lots of great information and I did a little digging on the Walmart site and found that I can get a tracker II and a 50cal muzzle loader in a package for about 153 dollars Then I can send it in and get a barrel with a choke tube and purchase 3 other kinds of chokes for it.

Sounds like a good idea to me...A heck of a deal to be had as well.

Good luck...

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
I guess that is part of the "majic" of owning the H&R/NEF's because you can change it into so many different configurations. Next will be th 22's/17's

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »
Quote from: DanielWGriggs
I guess that is part of the "majic" of owning the H&R/NEF's because you can change it into so many different configurations. Next will be th 22's/17's

Uggghh...Don't mention the 22...I still want to pick up a 22mag Ultra Varmint and send in that reciever for a 17hmr or hm2 barrel.  I think it would be a sweet looking and shooting gun...Oh well, when the money tree starts blooming.  :)

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 11:27:21 PM »
This is all in preperatiion for the upcomming tax return. (it will probably get used for fixing the truck or van in reality) but I can dream....

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Stocks
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 03:07:35 AM »
Keep in mind that the Ultra Sluggers come with Monte Carlo stocks.  If you plan on putting a sighted barrel on it you may have to change the stock.  Good Luck, hope it all works as planned.
Rich
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 05:41:41 AM »
That is true what about the Tracker's? My .58 doesn't have the monte carlo stock and will cloverleaf roundballs at 50yds with 70 gr of ffg.

Be a shame to have to buy more wood/Laminate's in a pretty gray or something.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
stocks
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 01:17:09 AM »
Trackers come with a regular pistol grip straight stock...not sure if the sling comes with, but the studs are there.  Nice stock, on most of the ones I have seen in Gander.  
Rich
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 05:46:33 AM »
Daniel if i am correct the tracker weights under 6 pounds and the ultra is advertised at 9 pounds. I stand hunt when i hunt in shotgun countys thats why i had a 12 guage ultra barrel fitted to my 10 guage. Loaded with scope and sling my shotgun weight in at 11 pounds. With this weight its fun to shoot off the bench. and is very accurate, but if i didnt stand hunt i myself would choose the tracker.

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 10:36:46 AM »
here's the trick I will be doing both. Sometimes I drive for my partner and sometimes he drives for me. We have stands located in various places around the lands and depending on conditions the stand locations vary. sometimes we both stand hunt. The ability to change barrels at the truck is quite enticing and welcome. I will probably go with the shotgun/ML combo and add the tracker II hopefully the smooth bore will shoot rifled slugs consistently. If not and they still have them I will get a tracker I for that purpose. If I get enough back from taxes I might just buy the ultra also. That means I will have to get a new shotgun scope and a new sling, and ..... this is fun.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2005, 11:25:43 AM »
Dan, now you have the basic tenant of what being a Handoholic is all about, FUN!!!
Best of luck, and I can only wish you as much FUN as I and others here have with these fine little guns!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
Men: Like to chime in, I own a Tracker II 12 ga. and yes it has a 2.5 Simmons Shotgun scope mounted on it.  The recoil is brutal with many of the new high power slugs like Lightfields. Now 12 ga. ultras are on 10 ga. actions accepting only 10ga. and 12ga. ultra barrels, and no centerfire rifle barrels. Tracker II's are on standard shotgun actions accepting all shotgun barrel including 20ga. ultra, but no CF rifle or 10ga. or the 12ga. ultra barrels. I believe it's Jeff.223 on the NEF/H&R CF board swears by his 20ga. ultra. Now as a side light I use Brenneke KO sabots that are a 20ga. slugs in a sabot in my 12 ga.  As for add on barrels I put on a 28" 12ga. barrel with screw in chokes, added a set of rifle sights, and took my turkey with it this spring. Yes turkey loads rock your world, but I'm not plinking with it anyway. Hope This Helps To Clear Thing Up A Little:  :D <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 03:38:57 AM »
Thanks Duce, MSP and everybody that has helped me in my quest for information. The combo with a tracker II and Tracker I is looking mighty good at the moment but I do like Dave's Ultra....maybe I will just borrow his for a while....

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
rifle sights on 28" barrel
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 04:43:56 PM »
Duce,
I have a friend that's wanting a setup like you mention in your post

How did you mount the rifle sights on your 28" screw-choked barrel?

Did the barrel come D&T for a scope rail, and you added a sight there?

What did you use for the front sight?

Offline DanielWGriggs

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »
Well Cheatermk3 I haven't done so as yet, I am still in the wishing process. Santa has taken the information from me and I might get such a thing for Christmas, or birthday but I have been thinking about the sight additions... If I can find some of the magnetic Tru Glo sights (usuallly at wal mart during turkey season) then That is what I will try to fit to the barrel. I think they would work fine but only experimention will tell. I will not D&T for scope. The tracker barrels come with open sights already on them and the reason I want  each of the barrels is one is smooth bore and the other is rifled. Use different kinds of slugs and the smooth bore could be used as a turkey barrel. If I could get H&R to add a choke tube modification to the tracker I barrel then I wouldn't have need of the shotgun smooth bore with choke tubes as this would then make a fine deer and turkey gun.

That is ok though I am still looking at getting the turkey barrel added to the Frame that I will buy.  Shoot I may just end up getting 2 or 3 complete shotgun setups. Told the wife that I want a 20ga ultra she don't know it but that would be her shotgun for deer hunting.
guess my handle should have been Ol windy.