Author Topic: 243 won't open  (Read 716 times)

Offline kenbev

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
243 won't open
« on: September 19, 2005, 02:33:31 PM »
A friend of mine was shooting in his scope and after firing a round of factory ammo the rifle won't break down. He thinks that the release lever is broken. I think that it tryed to open when fired and is just stuck. What is your opinion. I haven't looked at the rifle, just thinking out loud...

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
243 won't open
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 02:49:32 PM »
My first thoughts is to make sure the firing pin is not stuck forward...like it is stuck in the primer of the spent round.....If it is i would say drop a brass cleaning rod down the barrel to jar the firing pin out of the spent round.....It has happened to me once and it will not open......If you force it ,it will break or bend the firing pin....just my thought if not it could be the latch but never heard of a faulty latch very much.....hope this helps if not there are plenty of other people that will help you through this.....Dale

Offline kenbev

• Contributor
won't open
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 03:07:37 PM »
He said that the release lever was down as if it was broken. I thought if the rifle tried to open, the release lever would be down...

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
243 won't open
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 03:12:51 PM »
stumped :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
243 won't open
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 06:52:09 PM »
Call NEF and ask them what he should do...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline kenbev

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 12:42:53 AM »
They said to send it to them, but if it is something simple, it usually takes two to three weeks for them...

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 won't open
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 01:46:24 AM »
Kenbev: Had the same thing happen to me, with a .243. What had happened was some old reloads of my father's and for some reason had thrown a pressure spike, primer cup metal flowed into the firing pin hole and locked it up. I dropped the trigger group and released the locking lug to open it. When I tore the action down I found that the teeth on the release lever had sheared. Check the firing pin to see if it is stuck forward, just ear back the hammer and depress the pin with a screw driver, it should move freely back and forth. I sent the whole thing back to have additional barrels fitted and NEF repaired the lever under warranty. Haven't had any problem since. Hope This Helps: <>< Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: 243
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 05:02:00 AM »
Quote from: kenbev
They said to send it to them, but if it is something simple, it usually takes two to three weeks for them...

If the gun is under warrenty...send it to them..in all likelyhood...you'll probably have to anyway even if you get it open.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
243 won't open
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 11:00:21 AM »
I agree with Mac, why waste your time. Besides having the factory insure it is working properly is a great peace of mind.

Norse

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
243 won't open
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »
It's easy to tell if the fireing pin is stuck in the primer, just see if it will push in with the hammer pulled back, if it is stuck in it won't move, if it moves forward then it is not stuck.
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.