Author Topic: out of the box accuracy????  (Read 602 times)

Offline patch

• Trade Count: (0)
out of the box accuracy????
« on: September 20, 2005, 05:31:08 PM »
Just curious what kind of accuracy you have gotten with you Handi's without doing any tinkering?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 05:58:30 PM »
Good enough to kill a deer at 100 yards.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:10:05 PM »
I'm wondering what you mean by accuracy.  

For some folks keeping them on a pie plate at 100 yds is plenty accurate enuff--that will put venison on the table in the woods I hunt here in the PNW.

I've owned several handirifles most of them were broke in pretty good when I got them.  I'd say 3 inches at 100 is my guess at the average, from a rest using iron sights and factory ammo.  The three new ones I bought were all 1-inch rifles after I found the ammo they liked; handloading helps.  

The 17 HMR I bought new is a tack driver; my 22 mag ultralight youth is also very accurate, for a 22 mag.

Many will shoot MOA right out of the box.  A very few will need to go back to the factory for rework before they will function properly but that's par for the course with any mass-produced item.

It's my opinion that VERY few cannot be tuned to shoot MOA or better.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:01:23 PM »
I never shoot any rifle straight from the box anymore...I handlap them and polish the chamber...add a o-ring to float it off the wood in the forearm..remove the scope base...clean and re-locktite it to the frame and screw holes.....then go shoot it...I have been rewarded with super groups because of doing this...Here's my 5 shot group with the then new Fedaral Fusion ammo..Group size is .233"...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62494&highlight=3006+ultra+comp

I can't say my way is the best...but you can certainly see it works for me..by the way...both of these barrels were new..I just wish I had had some of the 243 Fusion ammo to have tried...oh...welll mitchel will have to try it for us...since he got my 243 barrel ...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:30:47 AM »
I use the same procedures Mac dose and my handi rifles are sub MOA.

Norse

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
OUT OF THE BOX
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 01:08:51 PM »

My 30-06 out of the box ,no O rings ,just  J@B bore paste on the barrel IMR3031 44.5 grains and 165 Hornady  interlock SP bullet at the 100 yard target :D

Offline scgunsmith

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 02:22:38 PM »
my 243 out of the box was doing 1-2" groups at 200 yrds.
after tweeking the scope and adjusting the load, it will do 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups now