Author Topic: Is this Safe ?  (Read 749 times)

Offline guttercat2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Is this Safe ?
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:38:41 PM »
hello,
Great forum, thanx for all the info.

ok,heres my problem, I recently moved to the western new york area, and  
found I needed a shot gun to hunt some areas of the state. so I went to the local gander mountian and found a 12 ga. Tracker II. with a tasco bantam 2.5   power scope mounted. only 89.99.  
    well after purchaseing this weapon. I found this forum and discovered that drilling and tapping the 12ga. tracker may not be safe.
   The mount is mounted with 4 screws and apppears to also be epoxyed .
   well now I am kinda leary about shooting this gun. Do you all think my fears are justified ? or am I being overly cautious?
  If this was your gun what would you do?
        thank you for any advice you may give.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:16:10 PM »
That is a question that no one should answer with out looking at the gun. If it was done by a good smith it's probably fine. If it was done buy a not so good smith or a home job buy some one who thinks they are a gunsmith you might get hurt. I know enough to know that I won't give it a thumbs up. It can be a great inexpensive hunting tool but just take it to some one qualified to say it's a safe one.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline guttercat2000

Is this Safe ?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 06:16:37 PM »
yeah that makes sense. Would the mount have to be removed?  
The screws won't budge because of the epoxy.  
    I did look in chamber and the screws do not go all the through. so thats good. but what else would a gunsmith look for?  
     If I bring it back to the Gander Mountian I purchased it from, and had their gun smith look at it , do you think he would be honest and admit they sold me a unsafe gun? Or should I go else where?  
           thanx for your help, dan

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 01:37:00 AM »
If you think it's unsafe and want to sell it to me for the $89.99 you paid for it I'll buy it from you, or if you just want to sell the barrel and scope I'll buy that!!! Thanks...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 07:12:27 AM »
Guttercat...Did you buy that from the Gander Mtn in Tonawanda?  I would go back to the store and have their gunsmith check it out...You got a smoking deal on that gun scope combo.  I know that the Tasco Bantam is not a top of the line scope but for that deal I would give it a shot.  Heck, a fixed 2.5 power scope if perfect for slug hunting in WNY.  If you still do not feel comfortable with the gun, I might be persuaded to buy it off of you.  Well, maybe not, I already have an Ultra Slugger but a Tracker II would be a nice addition to my cabinet.

Quote from: MSP Ret
If you think it's unsafe and want to sell it to me for the $89.99 you paid for it I'll buy it from you, or if you just want to sell the barrel and scope I'll buy that!!! Thanks...<><.... :grin:

MSP...You are a shark  :D

BTW...Welcome to the forum and don't forget to check out the Hunting in NY Forum and join in the conversations there too...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:31:25 AM »
Thanks for the compliment (?) WNY Whitetailer, and sorry for beating you to the punch about buying it, but don't worry, something will come up for you. I think it's completely safe, especially if it's a new gun (within the last 10 years or so), the newer guns have thicker steel in the chamber area and can be safely drilled and tapped by a GOOD gunsmith. The older shotgun barrels were actually better built with more craftsmanship but are thinner in both the barrels the the chamber area. The only reason my gunsmith stopped accepting 12 gauge shotgun barrels through the mails to D&T and mount scope rails on was that many were sending him nice older barrels with chamber areas that were to thin to safely D&T. Since the scope rail is also epoxied in place and has 4 screws it seems as if the gunsmith that did it seemed to know what he was doing. If 3 screws are used they should be upped in size from the originals and flat filed with the holes bottom tapped for full thread engagement, epoxy is still required....Still hope I can buy the gun or the barrel, I do think it is safe, and it's great gun for where you are. I suggest you keep it and shhot it, but if you ever want to sell it or the barrel I'm here...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline guttercat2000

Is this Safe ?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 08:10:02 AM »
Thanx guys for the quick responces.
Don,t know if I'll sell. really like the gun, it handels nice and the trigger is pretty good too.(nice and crisp and not to heavy)

:-)
 Yes I did buy it in tonawanda. I was surprised to find this there for such a good price. although I must say gun prices here are a lot better than where I used to live.
     how can I tell how old this gun is? the serial # is N K 258 XXX.
                                           thanx again for the advice.

p.s. I'll be sure and check out the new york hunting forum.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 12:06:27 PM »
The second letter (K) indicates it was made in 1996...Best of luck, you have a great gun there!!! I am torn between hoping you keep it and enjoy it and wishing you don't like it and sell it to me!!! Try it, you will like it!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 03:21:48 PM »
i'll settle this, i wouldn't want to see anything happen to WNY, MSP, or you gutter from shooting this rather unsafe gun. so, i'll give you six bucks, a genuine chuck mangione "Blow the Clouds Away" eight-track, and a coupon good for 2 online trades at charles schwab for it. of course, we have to meet half way to make sure the eight track fits your audio system.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline guttercat2000

Is this Safe ?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:18 PM »
MSP retired: thanx I will try it, If it rattels my teeth loose I'll let you know.
 :lol:
 8 track? whats that? (just kidding)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Is this Safe ?
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 04:24:01 AM »
It will most certainly rattele you teeth loose!! That a light gun. Mine is ported and has a recoil pad and it still has a pretty good punch. Not unmanageable but it lets you know something is happening.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun