Always full length size fired cases
6 (11.3%)
ONLY neck size fired cases
10 (18.9%)
Use .001 neck tension on bullets
6 (11.3%)
Use .002 neck tension on bullets.
12 (22.6%)
Thumb seat bullets in fire formed cases.
14 (26.4%)
NEVER size cases
4 (7.5%)
Other
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: How much neck tension on loaded rounds for BPC Rifles?  (Read 15544 times)

Offline ShortStake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How much neck tension on loaded rounds for BPC Rifles?
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:44:49 AM »
A loading question for this new year of 2005.

The question "How much neck tension on loaded rounds used in BPC Rifles" usually can get many varied answers.

What is your preferred method of neck sizing cartridge brass after having fired same?

Your personal knowledge and experiences are valued.

Thanks for contributing..........
RIP Howard (Shortstake) Staub died 5/7/2008 at 4:30 P.M. Las Cruces time. Howard succumbed to glioblastoma cancer.

From the Land of Enchantment

ShortStake

Offline white feather

How much neck tension on fired cases for BP
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 04:06:41 PM »
I shoot a browning BPSR in 40/65, i use starline brass that is nickel plated, i full length sized it when it was new because i wanted to build up enough pressure to blow it out to fit the chamber.
I like the nickel brass because it adds to the thickness of the brass enough so all i have to do is slide the 400 gr. snover bullet down and seat it .40 over the walters wad and 60 grs. Swiss ctg. grade powder.
The nickel brass is also a lot easer to clean, i just drop them into a jar filled with 1 part simple green 1 part murphey oil soap and 1 part water, this is the same thing i clean my barrel with between matches, you dont get the rust you do from useing peroxide and alcohol, all i do with the cases is run a nylon 45 cal. brush into them and dry thrm and run in the tumbler, a lot less work than some people go through, i talked about useing simple green on the old shooters sight, now it seems lots of people are useing it, sure does help with the smell when your cleaning them in the kitchen sink.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 04:10:32 PM »
Just a note on the use of Simple Green....the the US military banned its use on airframes due to its corrosiveness....that's on aluminum, not steel, but still something to consider... :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 02:56:02 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Just a note on the use of Simple Green....the the US military banned its use on airframes due to its corrosiveness....that's on aluminum, not steel, but still something to consider... :wink:

If memory serves, I think the term used was "Metal Embrittlement".

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline white feather

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 05:21:14 AM »
MUMM
It made the inside of my cases very shinny and primer pockets were clean also, do you have the name of the sight where you got the info.
I dont want to make my brass brittle so it starts cracking or maybe worse.
I use simple green in my windshield washer cleaner to help with removeing bugs from my windshield, also good for cleaning your tires.
 Maybe the use of murpheys oil soap helped with the cleaning more than i thought.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline white feather

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 11:26:55 AM »
I think ill use the simple green to clean the tires on my truck and go back to water and murphys oil soap to clean brass.
Thanks for the info very interesting reading.

Offline flintski

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 05:16:37 PM »
.001 neck tension for me.  Bullets drop out at .410 and expander plug is .409/.411 that way the bullet JUST touches the side before seating.
Don't shoot ugly guns/////

Offline sqball

Re: How much neck tension on fired cases for BPC Rifles?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:18:54 AM »
  I thought this would be a good place to start my membership on here. So here goes.

I shoot seven different cartridges ranging from .22 WCF up to .50/90 and have found that, in general terms, if you get/make/have made an expander plug that is the same diam. as your lubed and sized bullet that, with the proper load, you'll get good results. For calibers under .30 you will need to crimp the case as the bullet wgt. doesn't give enough resistance to the initial burn to give consistent MV's.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 12:04:45 PM »
I turn my expanders on the lathe, I have them from .004 to .001 X .001's for the molds I use. I use the one's that hold the bullet by .002. just snug enough that when you clean the lube off the bullet will still spin with out falling out or a hard pull to pull them out, and you wont swage the base out of shape by forcing that soft bullet in while seating it.
But it's also important to have the case walls with uniform thickness and keep the cases annealed to keep a uniform tension on that bullet no mater what your expander plug is to keep the SD in the low single digits.
My longer and larger volume cases like the .45/90 and the .50/90, especially the .45/3-1/4 filled with black seem to need more neck tension to burn more consistent then the .40/65 and the .40/70ss.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline ShortStake

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
Lead Pot/Kurt,

Your .002 neck tension on loaded cast bullet BPCR rounds is consistent with most other shared opinions.  When this thread was initially posted it included a poll on neck tensions.  When this website was hit by hackers the poll was lost.   

Having an assortment of neck expanders for each caliber is the dream of every serious loader/reloader of BP cartridges.

As we've all learned the actual diameter of the neck expander does not necessarily translate to the same exact .i.d measurements of expanded case necks.  Depending on the individual case, whether or not annealed, the amount of springback flucuates from caliber to caliber.

Thanks for sharing your opinions and ideas.     
RIP Howard (Shortstake) Staub died 5/7/2008 at 4:30 P.M. Las Cruces time. Howard succumbed to glioblastoma cancer.

ShortStake

Offline ShortStake

• Avid Poster
Re: How much neck tension on loaded rounds for BPC Rifles?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
Gents and Madams,

Previous poll lost during last website update.

NEW poll added.

Thanks for looking and contributing.

From the Land of Enchantment,

ShortStake

ShortStake

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 02:59:42 PM »
Annealed fire formed brass only - bullet finger seated and then 0.002 neck tension
Regards
John Boy

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »
Lead pot made mention of cutting his own plugs ...
Track of the Wolf has many diameter plugs for $3 Expander Plugs for use in Lee 7/8-14 Die
In addition to my 45-70 neck tensions, I shoot some smaller diameter 38-55's for gallery loads.  So I just order the larger diameter plugs and size them down for the proper neck tension
Regards
John Boy