Author Topic: Accessory Program Pricing  (Read 515 times)

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Accessory Program Pricing
« on: September 20, 2005, 04:22:06 PM »
I was thinking about sending two receivers to H&R.

I wanted the .223 24" Ultra Varmit barrel mounted on one and the .243 24" Ultra Varmit barrel mounted on the other.

I called H&R and asked what the price would be to for a set of Cammo or Cinamon stocks.  $80/set for uncheckered.  $110/set for checkered.

Under the soon-to-expire discount, 2 barrels @ $95/each + 2 checkered stock sets at $110/each + $10/gun return shipping + outgoing shipping = $430+

On the other hand, I could trade in both guns for $200 total (worst case scenario), buy 2 new complete Ultra Varmit rifles @ $269/each + 5% sales tax less the $20/gun rebate = $324.90

Granted, by sending in my current rifles I'd still have their existing stocks and barrels to sell or keep, but the economics of the barrel acessory program aren't looking so great.
NRA Life Member

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »
Yeah--that's why I keep getting complete rifles instead of sending in a receiver.

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 06:00:53 PM »
fuzzy math ??  :?

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 06:21:44 PM »
Not fuzzy, jus a rough approximation.  If he trades at the dealer the tax may be lower since the taxable price of the new rifle should be less trade-in.

Why go so lowball on the trade value?  You could probably do lots better selling them here in the classifieds.  Or maybe it's a KTP thing...

never know what they'd bring on ebay...might get as much for the barrels alone as you're guessing for the trade-in.

Anyway 2 new of what you really want beats more parts lying around that you don't/won't use and done and in the hand beats maybe ebay.

I say go for it.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:18:50 PM »
Granted, by sending in my current rifles I'd still have their existing stocks and barrels to sell or keep, but the economics of the barrel acessory program aren't looking so great.

You really need to rethink what the program is about...it's about adding barrels to an existing frame and stock set you already have..which only adds to the overall value of the combo.

Anytime you upgrade to a better stock set...you add to the value of the rifle..NEF isn't discounting the price of the stocks when you buy them directly from them..your paying full retail for them...so.... for purchasing just barrels..the barrel accessory program is a good deal to those wanting addional barrels..that is the name of the program...is it not...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bajabill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 03:55:30 AM »
You dont build a car by taking a lot of trips to the auto parts store, unless you are Johnny Cash  :grin: , he got his parts for "free" and still wasnt too happy with his 1955-1975 Cadimolac.

buy one rifle with the stock you want, send that one in for the other barrel you want, sell the stuff you dont want.

Mainer

The fuzzyness was due to accounting for the trade in value for condition B and not accounting for it in condition A.  And you could just buy one set of stocks also.  But, its your money, you know better how it will make you happy than anyone.  Good luck, and enjoy what you end up with.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 06:11:57 AM »
Mac's  right for barrels you can't find to buy or trade out, then there program is great. For stocks & a barrel I would get a complete rifle, not enough difference in price not too. Keep an eye out you may find a stock set here or buy it from H&R or brownells at a later date. Spread out he cash or buy a new rifle with the stocks on it. Many choices but you have to decide. I just sent in for a 25-06 & a 22 hornet with the discount I get 2 new cal's for less than a whole gun & a trigger job good deal to me - the 270 barrel price & its even better
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 12:31:05 PM »
I just wound up spending almost $250 with them for two barrels and a set of stocks.......it's all a matter of what you want and not what you need I guess.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
I just got out of the barrel businesses I think complete guns suits me better. 8)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 05:05:11 PM »
I've been away from the computer for more than a day.  Had to make a trip with my father to the Veterans Cemetary in Massachusetts for a burial service.  My uncle, a WWII vet, passed away unexpectedly.

I was thinking in writing when I started this thread.  I was all gung ho about the barrel program until I found out the cost of upgrading stocks--then the math seemed near even with just unloading the rifles and buying new ones.

Yes, the math is fuzzy.  It's hard to estimate what I'd get in trade for the guns or in a private sale for the barrels/stocks.  I not a fan of private sales of firearms.  With my luck I'd end up unwittingly selling to a convicted felon. :(
NRA Life Member