Author Topic: 150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Daveinthebush

• Trade Count: (0)
150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
« on: December 24, 2003, 03:13:37 PM »
I seem to have a few hundred 150 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Has anyone tried them on deer sized game and how well did they preform.  I have heard stories that they blow up to much.

Any thoughts?
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline smokey66

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 03:55:38 PM »
i have only shot one single whitetail with that bullet. it was about 10 years ago and it was a max load in my 300 win mag. it was a shot in the heart lung area and i do remember the wound being a bit too severe. since then i have switched to the 165 bt only because my Rem. likes them better. sorry i don't have more to offer. good luck....

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 04:33:26 PM »
I shot a doe with a 140 gr. ballistic tip on Saturday evening at about 40 yards with a 7mm Mag.  The bullet knocked the deer down but it blew up and didn't get penetration.  the deer got up, hopped a fence into a neighboring property and was lost.  I'll never use them again for any deer size or bigger game.  :(

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 07:17:37 PM »
What caliber and what cartridge do you plan to use them with? If 7MM and the cartridge is not a magnum they will do a super job. If .30 and you'll be using a magnum then up close they will be like a bomb. Might be same in a 7MM Mag up close.

BTs of .308" and under are fairly lightly constructed. They are at their best when used heavy for caliber or with cartridges that don't push the velocity envelope too much. For example the various specialty single shot handguns or rounds like the 7-08 and 7x57 or the .308 and .30-06. I prefer to use 180s in .30 caliber.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Daveinthebush

.308 Whiney
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 07:28:03 PM »
.308 Whiney was the caliber choice.  From what I have read they are too light for deer.  Better stick to the 150 Speers.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 07:23:31 AM »
:D I use 150 grain ballistic tips in my 30.06 and they have worked excellent. I've shot at least a dozen deer and antelope with them and had no problem. I've never had one blow up or not penetrate. They do expand well but thats the idea. They also expand at contender velocities, I've had good luck with them (120gr) in my 7x30 waters contender.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 10:10:28 AM »
We have used them in 7m-08, 30-06 and 7mm.  No problem whatsoever.  Shots were between 60 and 250 yds.  Used em on deer and antelope.  The holes tend to be big, but that is what they are all about . . . plus they shoot great.  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 10:06:09 AM »
I have shot about half a dozen Sitka's with them, but stopped using them. Never had a problem with penetration but they destroy TOO much of that tasty meat for me.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 10:28:41 AM »
Ballistic Tips elicit a Love or Hate response from everybody depending on who you talk to and what their experiences with them have been.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 05:10:05 PM »
I've used them quite a bit in my .270, and '06. I can say I never lost a deer while using them but they did destroy quite a bit of meat which led me to get away from them. I've tried different makes and still I'm in the search. The last couple of deer I've killed have been with good 'ol green and yellow Core lokts but they still damage too much meat IMHO.

Frog
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline ras308

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 05:37:56 AM »
I use the Nosler BTs in my .308, it's killed 5 big hogs and 2 deer this season.  One deer was shot at about 60 yards by my wife and the other at 300+ yards, neither moved out of their tracks, the hogs either.  The deer were shot behind the shoulder, they will make a terrible hole if bone is contacted, but we've never lost anything with them.  The bullet has killed many coyotes, hogs and deer since I've started using them.  The bullet is very accurate in my rifle and the tips do not deform by bumping around in the box or with repeated loading and unloading.  If I were to go after mule deer, I would go to a heavier Nosler BT and if I wanted to shoot elk, I would try the new Accubond.

Offline Daveinthebush

Mixed reviews
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 05:41:17 AM »
It sounds like there are a lot of mixed reviews here.  I will just have to try them on the deer here and see what happens.  I don't think they will be my first choice for anything larger though.  Especially the large fuzzy stuff we have up here. :eek:

Offline coyotero

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 07:01:06 PM »
Used 130gr BT's in a .270 for deer and antelope one fall.Big holes,bad bloodshot.I shot both the deer and antelope broadside at about 100 yards,no exit hole and the bullet disintegrated so violently it busted the diaphragm and suck the guts up into the chest. tried it several years later 150 gr. in a 7mm Mag.Shot an antelope buck at about 350 yds.broadside chest shot,exit hole about 8 inches.Lots of bloodshot.My best friend had similar results with his 06.No more BT's for me.
I love the smell of coyote gland lure early in the morning.It smells like victory!!

Offline Mnswede

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 07:28:16 PM »
I use 130 BTs with a 270 Win.  Shot three deer this year with that bullet and here are my observation.

First deer shot at 344yds one bullet left to right behind the legs.  Bullet went cleanly through no big hole.  Deer went not more than 5 feet from where it was shot.  

Second deer shot at 64yds one bullet right to left from chest out behind leg.  Deer didn't go more than three feet from impact.  After gutting deer, noted large holes where bullet contacted bone/rib cage area, no problem with meat lose.

Third deer shot at 46yds one bullet left chest area with no exit wound.  Deer went about 75yds and died with no blood trail.  When I opened the deer up, lungs and heart were mush with large wound channel but no exit wound.

The reason I changed to BTs was that a deer from last year was shot with 150gr Nosler Partition bullet.  Shot was at 230yds right to left behind the legs and a lower center placement.  I had to track the deer for 100yds with no blood trail.  I had a entrance and exit wound and the deers lung area was mush.

I had been told by an older hunter that 130 grain BT's always destroyed to much meat and go with a heavier bullet etc.  I find placement is very important and a rifle that is accurate for placing the bullet close to were you aim is important.  I saw with my shots this year that if you take a close up shot with a 130 BT and have alot of velocity which my handload puts out 3150fps with the load I developed, then you could have a problem with this type bullet exploding inside of the deer.  From 60yds plus I find no problem with this combination.

The old timer that gave his opinion is what I call a spray and pray hunter.  He will take shots that he isn't capable or competant to take and will shoot  at a deer that is running at a extended distance because he has a semi-auto and has the bullets to spare.  He also takes or gets shoulder and rump shots with his style of shooting and so he gets meat wastage because of bullet placement.

The gist of these comments is that the bullet is a good combo if used in its limitations and the limitations of the shooter.  I believe all bullets have limitations and that there isn't a Holy Grail bullet that does everything for everyone in every rifle. IMHO the 150gr Nosler BT would be just fine for deer and I would make should that I placed this bullet into the right and proper area to get the best results.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
Ballistic Tips work better using heavier bullets.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 08:53:53 AM »
Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by Nosler for violent / expansion / explosion and medium penetration.

For most calibers shooting BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with bigger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed  bullet.  

Furthermore, heavier bullets for caliber are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a complete pass-through.  

Moreover, the shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets and you get more energy on target.  Short range shots also suit the larger round with a higher SD versus standard light weight bullets with less mass.

Example:

.270 BT's benefit from 150-gr. versus 130-gr.
30-06 BT's perform well with 180-gr. versus 150-gr.
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Little Magnum

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:48:12 PM »
Had great luck with 7mm 150gr B.tip out of my 7mm Rem Mag, Shot four deer at 80,180,200 and 300 yards, all one shot kills, can't complain. I tested them shot into rubber sneaker soles and they penetrated 18 of them, the bullets lost 1/3 of there weight and weighed 100gr after. there was no shank showing, it was driven up into the mushroom.  A Good deer bullet....

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 07:25:37 AM »
Ballistic Tip Overview

Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by Nosler for violent expansion / explosion and medium penetration on light skin type animals like deer.

For most calibers shooting fragile BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with bigger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed bullet.

Why?

1. Heavier bullets for caliber are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a complete pass-through.

2. The shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets and you get more energy on target.

3. Short range shots also suit the larger round with a higher SD versus lighter weight BT'd bullets with less mass.

4. Raking quartering-away shots obviously benefit from a heavier round for adequate penetration.

5. A larger BT'd bullet is also more forgiving if you shoot accidently into the shoulder.

Example:

.270 Win BT's benefit from 150-gr. versus 130-gr.
30-06 BT's perform better with 180-gr. versus 150-gr.

FYI:

Nosler says that beginning with the 30 caliber 180-gr. Ballistic Tips (and larger), the jacket's profile is changed or upgraded to a much stronger contour similar to the AccuBond (shown below). The lead core is also hardened over the 165-gr. and below bullets.

Lighter weight bullets like 165-gr. 30 caliber and lower (shown below) do not have the thicker contour which starts in the middle of the shell and goes down to the base.

In summary, one might suggest that the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip is simply a non-bonded AccuBond.

Caution:

* Standard bullets generally perform better on deer in lighter to mid-weight sizes.

* Ballistic Tipped rounds are the exception to the rule as outlined in the opening post. Reported problems of a BT blowing up too quickly are generally associated with too light of a bullet.

Steve

P.S.

I like a bullet to perform two things in my 30-06:

1. Violent expansion / shock.
2. Plenty of penetration for a pass-through.

Nosler makes 4 great rounds to accomplish any North American task - listed in order of toughness:

1. Ballistic Tip
2. Solid Base
3. AccuBond
4. Partition

* Light skinned / boned deer: 180-gr. Ballistic Tip / Solid Base / AccuBond
* Heavy skinned / boned elk: 180-gr. Partition / AccuBond

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 08:54:03 AM »
I like to use the 150 grain Hornady SST for whitetails from my 300 SAUM.  All of the ones I have shot with this have never moved.  Under fifty yards it will tear up several ribs, but that is the price you pay.   I would personally use them if you have them.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 10:41:04 AM »
deerman12:

Given that Hornady's SST expands more quickly than Nosler's Ballistic Tip, how much penetration did you observe in shooting 150-gr.'s at longer distances on deer?

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 06:35:27 PM »
shot 8 doe's an 3 6 points with 150 bt
every one of them dident move  droped dead in ther tracks 3 of them were on the run an just droped in ther tracks from my marlin 30-06
i still got 6 box's of them left from when i used to shoot my 30-06 now its just used for bear hunting here in pa

oh by the way the 150 bts i were shooting were factory loaded remingtons that said 150 nosler bt

dave

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 07:20:22 PM »
Those Remington BT's should work well.  Even though Remington isn't associated with Nosler anymore, you should feel fortunate because the Ballistic Tip is a much better bullet than the Accu-Tip that Remington now endorses.

Steve

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2005, 05:20:47 AM »
I normally use the Remington Express Core-Lokt 165gr. This weekend I decided to try the Federal Vital-Shok 150gr Nosler Balistic Tip (P3006P). It did the job and the exit wound didn't look that bad, but when we skinned him the internal damage was tremendous. Fortunately I didn't lose much of the front quarters.

Bottom line for me is if I was just trying to kill an animal the ballistic tips do the job, but since the meat is important to me I'm going back to the core-lokts.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 05:23:08 AM »
I probably should have stated, since this thread is in the deer hunting forum, I was hunting Axis deer.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 06:34:24 AM »
Before switching back to the Core Lokts, why not give the ol' Nosler Solide Base a try from Federal?

They expand like the Core Lokts, but have a huge edge in ballistic efficency for improved downrange energy / performance - 143 points higher BC (.491 versus .348).

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
Daveinthebush,

Keep them under 2,900 fps.(2,850 fps. is even better) and you should be fine.  Go over that and that is when problems arise.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 06:27:47 AM »
Thanks for the info 147 Grain, but I think I will go back to what I know for now. Where I hunt you can seldom see 100 yards so that is the maximum range I normally hunt.

The only reason I was using the Federal BT is because I had a chance to sight my rifle in at 400+ yards (seldom have the opportunity to do that) and I have a hunt coming up in Dickens County in December. I understand that the ranges are 250+ yards there.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 07:24:26 PM »
I've used Winchester Supreme GXP 2 with Nosler ballistc tips in 180 gr. for the last 8 years and have dropped every deer in it's tracks. Meat damage/waste was minimal, but shot placement has a lot to do with it. Only one through and through out of ten deer. Most shots were in the 140 to 200 yd range, and one was almost point blank in self defense. I have shot and dropped wild hogs with the same round at greater distances, but have usually had to give 'em another round from the 30.06 or finish 'em off with the .357. Took two rounds at 75 yds to kill a 225 lb black bear last year. So, for light skinned game I swear by the Nosler ballistic tip, but for thick skinned game they aren't as effective. They are a bit pricey at retail prices - about $22.00 to $28.00 per 20 rounds - but are cheap if you reload. Just my opinion and experiance. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA