Author Topic: Morning or evening  (Read 824 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Morning or evening
« on: September 16, 2005, 03:25:41 PM »
Have most of your big deer been shot in the morning or evening ?

Offline rockbilly

Morning or evening
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 05:24:04 PM »
:roll: Some of my best deer hunting here in Texas has been from around 10 AM to about 2 PM.  Matter of fact, some days I sleep in, go out about 9 AM and hunt until 3-4 PM.  Why, most of the other hunters are early out, they are usually ready for a sandwich or break around 11-12, they get out of their blinds and start moving around.  About 2-3 they come back and hunt until dark.  

I am setting in the blind as they are moving in/out and have been blessed by some very nice deer they scared my way.  I prefer to hunt early or around noon.  I have a hard time seeing as it starts to get dark, so I don't hunt evenings that much, and who want to be tracking a bad hit after dark with all them Texas rattlesnakes still out?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Morning or evening
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »
I do them both. I prefer the morning for tracking purposes, but I hunt more in the evenings. I just shot for the shoulders and put them down so I won't have to track them.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Morning or evening
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 06:18:37 AM »
All of my big deer and most all of the total deer I've killed have been in the morning. Now it is true I hunt mornings far more than afternoons but have done a good bit of all day hunting too and even gone out just in the afternoons at times. BUT where I hunt is big woods not near any kinda fields.

Mornings are the magic time where I hunt it seems. I've killed more between 8:00 and about 10:30 AM I guess than any other time. Between noon and 2:00 is about the next best time frame for me. I've killed some late afternoon but not nearly the numbers as in the mornings.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Morning or evening
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 02:15:32 PM »
90% of my deer have been killed in the morning..but, my biggest bucks have been killed from 3 'till quitting time.. :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Lawdog

Morning or evening
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:51:44 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
All of my big deer and most all of the total deer I've killed have been in the morning. Now it is true I hunt mornings far more than afternoons but have done a good bit of all day hunting too and even gone out just in the afternoons at times. BUT where I hunt is big woods not near any kinda fields.

Mornings are the magic time where I hunt it seems. I've killed more between 8:00 and about 10:30 AM I guess than any other time. Between noon and 2:00 is about the next best time frame for me. I've killed some late afternoon but not nearly the numbers as in the mornings.

:D  :-D   We agree here.  Mornings are for deer and afternoons are for Black Bears.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
Morning or evening
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 05:20:30 PM »
Early season bowhunting most of the deer I have harvested where taken in the evening. During the rut and late fall most I have taken were in the morning.

Norse

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Morning or evening
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 05:33:13 AM »
I love the morning.  I have killed 95% of my deer from 7am-10am.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Morning or evening
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 04:02:10 AM »
All my big deer were shot when I lived in Illinois when there was a one deer limit.  Most of them were killed in the morning but that does not give a true picture of when they were moving.  Many days I was back at my mother's house with a deer and a hot cup of coffee by 9:00 AM.    In those days you could not be too choosey about size or sex as the state was not over run with deer as it evidently is now.  On the other hand the largest deer I ever shot was shot about 3:00 in the afternoon.

Offline NYH1

Morning or evening
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 07:28:16 AM »
Not being a morning person by any means, as far as I'm concerned the day doesn't start until 11:00 am and it ends around 2:00 am, gotta get my nine hours of shut eye!

I usually have to work on Saturdays (usually scheduled six days a week) and mostly only hunt on Sundays and holidays. I usually watch most of the the first half of the Giants game and listen to some of the second half on the radio while driving to my hunting area! Late afternoon to dusk has really been my most productive time to deer hunt. Plus if I get bogged down on a deer or whatever else I don't have to worry about getting home and getting to bed because I don't have to be to work until 3:00 pm!  :wink:

I've shot one deer in the morning. It was about 7:20 am, even had to put my cigarette out to shoot it (quit smoking Oct. 2000)! Every other deer I've shot has been in the late afternoon or just before dark. I have a 45 minute drive from my house to my hunting area. I didn't see much deer movement in the morning where I hunt so I stopped hunting in the mornings.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Morning or evening
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 08:42:02 AM »
NY Hunter you and I think alot alike.SLEEP :lol: .......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline NYH1

Morning or evening
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
Quote from: ihuntbucks
NY Hunter you and I think alot alike.SLEEP :lol: .......Rick
I see you're from BAMA! If you root for the TIDE we really do think a lot alike. We're baaaaack ROLL TIDE !!!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Morning or evening
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 08:05:35 AM »
A-lot of it has to do with hunting pressure in the areas I've hunted...my biggest taken was early before 8am...but it isn't the biggest I've seen when in the field...the biggest was right before last light.When it gets close to hunting season,and there is more traffic in and around the woods and fields...seems to me the deer go nocturnal...at least the really big ones...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
Morning or evening
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 04:41:51 AM »
Opening day of rifle season in Mo. you should be in your stand from morning to dark.  Archery, between 5 and 7 pm is magic time.
  On the whole any season, I have seen most deer in the evenings, last friday I saw 9 very god bucks from 5 to dark plus many does. too far for a shot. But, I have never failed to see deer in the evenings. Of course this is in North Mo. Deer hunting sucks where I live in the eastern ozarks. If you hunt a week and see a tail  count yourself lucky !

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Morning or evening
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 07:18:37 AM »
I like morning, but strictly from the standpoint of it gives me more time to get the deer out of the woods.