Author Topic: good ,lightweight hunting binocs?  (Read 605 times)

Offline sjones

• Trade Count: (0)
good ,lightweight hunting binocs?
« on: September 26, 2005, 02:03:04 PM »
I currently have a pair of bushnell 10x50,they are heavy and I can't keep the image from shaking no matter how I try to steady them,would a less powerful pair like maybe 8x42 or something work better?thanks. sj :?

Offline DIVR6347

• Avid Poster
hunting binos
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »
hello
 well   it really will depend on your budget and the type of hunting your doing  but
   i prefer 8x42s and i have the kahles grey ones and the leica 8x42bn
both are far superior to (good) they are definatly superb!!
  but with all that superbness comes a price tag of around 1k for the leicas
and around $500 for the kahles  there are others out there less expensive that work great i have heard good things amout the nikon monarch atb
and also the pentax dcf line  i also heard that the carson xm series that
is now out is damn good for the money i think they are around $300
try opticstalk.com for some good bino info if you get a chance there is some good info there
divr6347  :D  :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: good ,lightweight hunting binocs?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 02:29:17 PM »
Quote from: sjones
I currently have a pair of bushnell 10x50,they are heavy and I can't keep the image from shaking no matter how I try to steady them,would a less powerful pair like maybe 8x42 or something work better?thanks. sj :?

Zeiss Victory FL 8X42mm, or Zeiss Diafun 8X30mm. I have both and they work great.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:07:35 PM »
Greetings!

If you are after light weight, I would HIGHLY recommend that you pick a 25mm or 32mm objective lens.  The 42mm and 50mm binoculars will REALLY let you know they've been there after you carry them around for a day... your neck with thank you for going 25 or 32.

I can personally recommend the following models without reservation, depending on your price range and the quality you are after:

Leica Trinovid BN 8x32 (Approx. $900)
Nikon HG (Venturer LX) 8x32 (Approx. $500)
Nikon HGL (Venturer LXL) 8x32 (Approx. $800) [A few ounces lighter, and you pay for it!]
Leica Ultravid 10x25 (Approx. $550)
Nikon HG (Venturer LX) 10x25 (Approx. $450)
Kahles 8x32 (Approx. $600)
Minox 8x32 (Approx. $500)
Brunton Echo 8x32 (Approx. $225)

All of the above binoculars are truly excellent optically, waterproof, fogproof, and quite rugged (ESPECIALLY the Leica Trinovids).  If I were going for a lightweight binocular for hunting, my first choice would be the Kahles 8x32, you just get more bang for your $$$ with that brand... although the Minox 8x32 are very close (not quite as good in low light) for another $100 less.  The 10x25 models are GREAT for daylight use, but suffer quite a bit in dark forested areas or low light around dusk.  If you are on a tight budget, the Brunton Echo 8x32 is a VASTLY underrated piece of optics - easily within 10% performance-wise of the other 8x32 models mentioned, at under 1/2 the cost.  For the ultimate in rugged hard-use, the Leica Trinovid has NEVER been beat by any binocular model that I've ever seen... those things are TANKS (and cost about what a tank costs too!). :)  Finally, the Nikon HG and HGL series have the most vivid, contrasty and colorful image I've ever seen in a pair of binoculars along with great edge-to-edge sharpness, but you pay for it in extra weight and lower brightness (especially under low-light conditions).

Good luck with your purchase, I hope you enjoy what you eventually decide to buy!

Best wishes,
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:28:28 AM »
Bushnell Legend 8x32. If you use a binocular harness like the Bino Buddy you can carry full size binoculars all day easy.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
Sjones, what type of hunting do you do. Thick brush, timber, open country? Stalking, stand hunting? Low light or bright days? It all makes a difference. Everyone gave you their favorites, but I believe more information would help us offer you better advise. Whats your price range also ( no use in recommending Zeiss if you can't afford them) Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE