Author Topic: Big pellet  (Read 545 times)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Big pellet
« on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:55 PM »
Hello, I would like to build a mold for a big "Airgun pellet" shaped projectile. Has anyone seen one of these? What did it look like? I'm going to cast them for my golfball cannon. I'm thinking of cutting a shaft in two legnthways, then bolting the two halfs back togather. Then I'd bore the pellet shape in the center of the two half's. After the bolts are removed some alignment pins would be made. Any suggestions are appreciated. Later, Wes
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Big pellet
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:49:00 PM »
I would install the alignment pins before cutting the cavity and use them while cutting the cavity.  Less chance of misalignment that way.

Unless you have a rifled bore, I doubt there would be much advantage to the waisted pellet shape over that of a traditional Forster slug.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Big pellet
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:48:30 PM »
Quote from: Powder keg
Hello, I would like to build a mold for a big "Airgun pellet" shaped projectile. Has anyone seen one of these? What did it look like? I'm going to cast them for my golfball cannon. I'm thinking of cutting a shaft in two legnthways, then bolting the two halfs back togather. Then I'd bore the pellet shape in the center of the two half's. After the bolts are removed some alignment pins would be made. Any suggestions are appreciated. Later, Wes

IF I can find my pix from a year or so ago at the Nationals  (N-SSA) I have a picture of one that DD & I saw at Ft Shennendoa.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Big pellet
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 05:12:42 AM »
Is a Forster slug simular to a mini ball? That would be easer to build. Also have been thinking of a miniball style projectile machined out of aluminum with a lead nose. Thanks for looking for those pictures Cat.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline GGaskill

Big pellet
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 06:49:19 AM »
Is a Forster slug simular to a mini ball?

Sort of.  It has a round versus pointed nose and a hollow base but the base acts more like tail fins than expanding to take the rifling.  Its aerodynamics are similar to a shuttlecock; a heavy nose leading a high-drag tail so the air flow keeps the tail to the rear.

I would make mould for a 1" bore by running a 1" ball nose end mill in to form the point and make a similarly shaped base plug giving me about .062" walls in the cavity.  Obviously you need some taper so the plug can be removed while casting.  Cast from wheel weights or other scrap since it doesn't have to be soft so it can expand.  I am guessing the cavity should be twice as deep as the thickness of the head.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill