Author Topic: american gas  (Read 941 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
american gas
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:16:30 AM »
Something we all should know

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $55-$60 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that
do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo.....................0 barrels
Sunoco...................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARC0....................0 barrels

Something we all need to think about  :(
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
american gas
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:55:40 AM »
I am very fortunate in that I live 3 miles from work. I had been lazy about riding my bike to work. Gas has done me a favor. I put the gas savings in a little kitty, for my deer hunting trips, and I can shorten my gym workouts. I really look forward to each commute on my bike.
Just like 1955 going to little league practice!

Offline trick45

• Trade Count: (0)
american gas
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 04:24:03 AM »
If the implication is that we should buy gas only from the retail pumps branded for the "good guys," there's a problem.

The gas you buy from an Exxon pump may not have been refined by Exxon Mobil, but the gas you buy from a Citgo may have been. In fact, Exxon Mobil doesn't even own the "Exxon" retail brand name. These days, retail gas stations license a brand name, then get the gas they sell from whatever local terminal services the area. Here in Western Pennsylvania, most of the gas you get from any station will have been refined by ARCO, even though no station bears the ARCO or Atlantic brands.

Peace
Kevin

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
american gas
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 05:16:11 AM »
Trick is correct.  Most gas stations recieve their deliveries from a local terminal.  So what this means is that if you have been paying a premium to put Shell gas for instance in your Vette because you think it is better gas you are wrong it is the same stuff that Quick Mart or Gas & Go is selling.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
american gas
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 09:30:52 AM »
I've seen this list floating around for a while.All the pumps at the BP stations in my area have stickers that say "Featuring Amoco fuels" So I dont know where the "BP-zero barrels imported" comes from. I thought BP bought out Amoco some time ago.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline rockbilly

american gas
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 12:23:11 PM »
8) As I said on the Deer Hunting forum a while back, I don't really think there is a shortage of oil in the USA.  Everyone should be convinced that as I stated before, the limiting factor in providing gas/oil is a result of a shortage of refineries.  I don't own the oil lease, but the two wells on my property have been shut down for over eight weeks because the tankers can not pick it up.. The story I get is the refineries are full, can't take any more.

The wells produce about 80 barrels a day normally, do your math, how much more oil could have been put on the market from these wells alone?.  How many other tanks are out there on wells that are shut down because the refineries can't handle the oil?  I know of at least three in addition to those on my property.

We may continue to have this problem until new refineries are built.  Most of those in use today are outdated, limiting production.  The hurricanes have opened eyes to this, and I expect major changes in this area, I read an article today in the local news rag, the military is thinking of building three rtefineries on closed military bases to curb military shortages.

Offline wareagleguy

american gas
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
Funny thing about this.  My mother just came by the house the other day to tell me "I told you so!"

She went on a trip in the summer of 1999 to Alaska.  While she was there she got to know a couple that worked on the pipeline.  She found out that the pipeline wasn't pumping oil.  When asked why it wasn't pumping she was told that the price of crude was "too low".  Importing oil was cheaper and until gas prices rose oil will mostly come from overseas.  My mother asked at what price would gas have to be in order to start using american oil and she was told "about $2.50 per gallon."  The main reason oil was low, she was told, is that Saddam was flooding the market with oil because that was the only way he could get money (remember he was under restrictions from the U.N.)

When Bush started the push in invade Iraq the first thing my mother said was "thats how they are going to stop Saddam."  I thought she was crazy at first but now I wonder.   We will never see gas below $2.00 and I really think it may never get below $2.50.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline BamBams

american gas
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 02:36:01 PM »
I told ya'll too!  Bout a year ago right here on this forum.  They said I was wrong.....hehehe
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Gas sources
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 02:57:31 AM »
The fact that gasoline comes out of the same pipeline, same truck, or same refinery, does not in itself prove it's the same gasoline.  The refinery is capable of cooking up gasoline to different recipies and different quality levels.  That said, I'm not sure there's a lot of difference from one brand to another anyway.  Years ago cheap gas would be likley to have sulfer in it and be hard on the exhaust valves, but this doesn't seem to be the case today.

Offline Qtip

• Avid Poster
american gas
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:23:44 PM »
There is no shortage of American gas. Just come to my place after the wife has made a pot of venison stew!!!!!!! :lol:  :wink:

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline rockbilly

american gas
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 02:37:47 PM »
:shock: unspellable.   You are partially correct.  Most refineries produce a single plain gasoline.  The additives that make it Mobil, Shell, Amaco, etc, is added as the transport tanker is being loaded.  Each major company provides the refinery with their additive, they give instructions on how much is to go in each transport truck before the "plain gas" is added.  It is mixed while filling and as the truck drives down the road.

Cheap gas is not always "Cheap Gas."  When a transport deliveries his load to a major station and still has fuel on board, he has another place to drop what's left, this is normally an independent or small chain.  SAo0 when you stop at "Billy Bob's Quick Stop"  and fill up wou may be getting the same gas for several cents less than the major sown the street is selling it for.  Course, you may just get "plain gas."

Offline williamlayton

american gas
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »
There are wholesalers who buy the gas from other wholsalers which is left, and well, gas pumped from retailer tanks (for whatever reasons).
Fuel purchased from these independent stations supplied by these independent wholesalers can be contaminated and do damage in a vehicle.
I prefer to stick to major brands.
That said, I am interested in Valero as it seems to be an up and coming independent refiner of fuel with its own stations. I am going to find one and check them out.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

american gas
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 05:22:55 AM »
:x You can get contaminated fuel from a major too.  A little over two years ago we were traveling through Tennessee, I stopped in Monterey at a BP station and filled up, we just almost made it 29 miles to Crossville before she shut down.  They towed my trailer to the Beanpot Camp ground and hauled the Ford off to the dealership.  They had to drop and flush the tank, then replace both fuel filters.  The first filter was so plugged with rust that no fuel was allowed to pass through, the second one had also stopped quite a bit of rust.  The tank also contained quite a bit of water.  Since the truck was new Ford provided me with a rent car.  I drove back to the station in Monterey and talked to the manager.  He told me that I was not the first to complain about contaminated fuel, he took my name and address and said they would reimburse me for the repairs when I sent them a copy of the bill.  To date I have not received any reimbursement, and when I drove out of the station I noticed they were still pumping diesel from the tank.  I stoped and warned the guy, but he kept on pumping.  I wonder how far it made it before his truck shut down?