Author Topic: electric ignition  (Read 644 times)

Offline pyro_tek

• Trade Count: (0)
electric ignition
« on: September 30, 2005, 04:10:23 PM »
Is the use of electric ignition in small cannon or mortar legal and safe? This question came up during the last "black powder toy" shooting session I attended. I don't think I've seen this topic addressed here, please link this thread to previous answers if it has.

The problem is the lag time incurred between clearing the range and touching fire to a fuse until the actual discharge of the load. This time can be anywhere from 3-6 seconds (yes, we do anticipate and prepare on 0-120+ seconds), which allows for quite a bit to happen. Our goal is to have more complete control of the discharge time even if our firing procedure is not period accurate. The near instant ignition of electric seems to be a safe solution to the problem of the lag.

We do have electric matches which will fit in a standard vent. These electric matches have proven 100% reliable in several hundred tests (unconfined b.p., model rocket engines, zero oxygen, confined air, etc.). What else should we investigate before trying to use these as planned?

Offline Lyle

electric ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
Try Boom Boom Seigleins friction primers..in over 10 years of shooting never had a failure of any kind. They are instantaneous..  No batteries, nothing but a lanyard.  
                                    Lyle

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
electric ignition
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »
There is some question as to whether electric ignition fits before the 1898 boundary, although it would seem to be a minor component of an ATF ruling.  Spark electric ignition has been located in a pre-1898 reference (1864 as I recall) but I have not seen any reference to hot wire ignition with a documented pre-1898 occurence.

I agree that electric ignition gives you much more control over the instance of firing and, consequently, range safety.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
electric ignition
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:56:29 PM »
If you don't mind being up close, a quick match and linstock work real well too.  You will find a thread on how to roll your own in the resources section.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
electric ignition
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 07:45:24 AM »
Flash bulbs work just fine for instant ignition. Prime the vent in the normal fashion and tape a bulb on top of the vent. The bulb should be in contact with the prime powder.

The bulbs are prepared in advance by soldering wires to the contacts. This has proved a quick and inexpensive way of igniting cannons when timing is important. I have, in the past, connected the wires to my camera to capture the sequence of firing.

Several guns can be fired in volley using the flash bulbs. With a simple rotary switch, it's possible to fire the guns sequentially.

Flash bulbs are an "endangered species" these days so get them from a camera store. I never see them at Wal Mart or any of the other Big Box stores.

As to the legal issue, flash bulbs have been used for many years as an acceptable method of ignition. They are external to the gun and are simply a way of igniting the pre '98 ignition system. If you use one of the electronic cigarette lighters to light the fuse, it's the same thing. The gun still fires via the original vent and priming system. There is no modification to the gun, it remains in it's original configuration.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
electric ignition
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 08:59:44 AM »
Here are instructions to build your own electric matches

http://www.xinventions.com/main/pyro/electrical.htm#Igniter%20#1
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
electric ignition
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:48:34 PM »
Quote from: GGaskill
There is some question as to whether electric ignition fits before the 1898 boundary, although it would seem to be a minor component of an ATF ruling.  Spark electric ignition has been located in a pre-1898 reference (1864 as I recall) but I have not seen any reference to hot wire ignition with a documented pre-1898 occurence.

I agree that electric ignition gives you much more control over the instance of firing and, consequently, range safety.

The first electrical ignition references I found were in the 1830's or 40's.  Several different methods.  There is a thead wherein I posted a number of links - perhaps 6 months ago.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)