Author Topic: Sig or XD for IWB.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Bearwolf31

• Trade Count: (0)
Sig or XD for IWB.
« on: October 15, 2005, 05:04:44 PM »
I have been thinking about getting either a preowned factory cert.  Sig P229 in 40 s&w or a Springfield XD40 BiTone for ccw. My question is, which gun would be the easiest to conceal via IWB and most comfy to carry? As far as price I have been seing the Sig at Gander Mtn for 486 and the XD's around 429 to 469, so price is about the same.

Offline Thrawn

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 05:26:35 PM »
Probably the XD, buddy has one and it carries great.

Offline williamlayton

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 11:56:08 PM »
For reliability no one, read-nobody, out of the box, out of the scabbard, out from under the seat, makes a more reliable weapon than SIG.
Look also at the 239 and the .357Sig.
Now all this is like choosing a wife, if we all fell in love with the same one-well you know. That said if you are going to marry one, a wife that is, make sure the gal is as reliable and trustworthy as you can get.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rockbilly

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 05:21:17 AM »
:D  :D  :D Hate to admit it, but I have to agree wholeheartedly with williamlayton.  You just don't get any better than a Sig.

If you go with the 229 in a.40, you can always pick up a .357 Sig barrel, and if you wish a 9mm barrel.  They are drop-in, no special tools or fitting required.  The .357 and 40 use the same magazines, you would have to buy 9mm mags if you buy that barrel.  

Now, ain't that great, three in one, and of the best quality too. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline Bearwolf31

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 10:53:23 AM »
hum... I didn't know you could plop in a 9mm barrel and have that caliber as well. Sure would allow more shooting for the $$ spent on ammo. I figure would a 9mm for plinking, I wouldnt bother with reloading sense the cost would be cheap enough.

I have considered the 357 sig but with the cost of ammo being higher and basically having another bottleneck cartridge to reload for... I much prefer straightwalled cases in my pistols.

Another thing..the lifetime warranty of the xd compared with the one year warranty given to the sig preowned certified pistols.

Offline nasty_canasta

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 04:33:17 AM »
I own a xd 40,  it is a great pistol, accurate and very durable.  You can not beat a xd for the price, and quality.

Offline Wolfe

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 05:45:41 PM »
Just for the record you can swap barrels in an XD as well. As long as you start with a .40 or .357 sig . There are 9mm conversion barrels as well.

Offline Savage

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:47:34 AM »
I'm still not sold on the concept of dropping a 9mm barrel in a .40. The larger breech face of the .40 with the 9mm case seems less than ideal. Seems reason enough to me for owning pistols in both calibers.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockbilly

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 12:09:54 PM »
:D Savage.  I have two Sigs that I interchange barrels on.  Both have been used and fired many times with 9mm, .357 and .40.  I have never had any problem.  Bottom line, If Sig endorses this practice, who am I to question them? :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 01:24:30 PM »
They are almost identical in size, the Sig is about 1/16" wider in the grip right under the decocking lever.
Best kept secret for carrying concealed is "Don't get cheap when you start shopping for the holster"  it doesen't have to be an expensive holster, but it MUST be a guality holster.  Galco has a thermoplastic for about $22 that works exceptionally well but their "Concealable" holster is the most comfortable I've ever worn, I now have 3 of them.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline wJAKE19

• Trade Count: (1)
Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:21:03 AM »
I say go for the XD. I CC my xd-40 everyday and have %100 confidence in the gun. I have never had a problem in thousands of rounds.
~Jake

Offline Savage

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:34:42 AM »
Sig or XD for IWB carry-----------

None of the above! A good flatsided single stack carries wayyyyyyyy better IWB.

Offline jimster

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 01:20:24 PM »
I've heard good things about both those pistols your talking about, I guess It's up to which one feels best in your hands. But as far as using an IWB holster, you'll really need to be willing to spend some money to get as much comfort as you can, not everyone is built the same and the comfort facter varies from person to person.  Milt Sparks makes a good quality IWB, and some others have been mentioned.
Savage has a very good point also...I've never found anything as comfy inside my pants as a slab sided single column pistol.  Nice and FLAT.
I'm here to tell ya, if you don't have the best quality IWB that fits you right, and is located in the right place, you'll wonder why you ever decided to shove something down your pants in the first place.
I have a friend who carries a Sig and uses a IWB, he likes it, it feels good on him.

Jimster

Offline williamlayton

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 10:50:45 PM »
Single stack is a tad more comfy, no doubt. My Sig 239 is not that uncomfortable but that is a subjective thought on my part.
I just endorse the Sigs for reliability over any that I have had any experience with.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 05:05:48 AM »
Whenever I carry my Glock or Smith IWB the grip is not inside my pants so a single stack does not make a difference in the comfort factor.  I use Alessi Holsters for both guns and found that the holster flattens the gun against the back of my hip bone really well.  There are no issues when driving or sitting down.  I am happy with them.  I do not own an XD or a Sig so I cannot comment on their performance.  I do know that the XD looks chunky so I do not know how well it will feel in an IWB holster.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Savage

Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 04:07:45 PM »
Even tho the grip is carried above the belt line in IWB carry, the slab sided single stack is much more comfortable. If you can carry a Glock IWB without discomfort, the Sig or XD should work just as well. The Kahr or an Officer's size 1911 carry better IWB than anything I've tried.
Savage

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
Sig or XD for IWB.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 04:21:46 AM »
Well put William.  Specially the wife part :D