Author Topic: Charter Arms 2000 Bulldog 44Spl.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline powhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Charter Arms 2000 Bulldog 44Spl.
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:51:27 PM »
Two weeks ago I purchased a new Bulldog. I shot two boxs of 240 grain lead bullets in it and noticed it shooting left and then right. The barrel was moving and then it locked up the gun so I can't open the cylinder. Lucky it was empty. The store I bought it at said I had to return it to the factory. I would think they would replace it. Wish now I had bought the 600 dollar S&W. Anyway it's a neet gun when it's working.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »
I always thought those were good self defense guns, and the caliber can't be beat. Give it a second chance. I'm sure it will work for you.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Lawdog

Re: Charter Arms 2000 Bulldog 44Spl.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 12:02:38 PM »
Quote from: powhs
Two weeks ago I purchased a new Bulldog. I shot two boxs of 240 grain lead bullets in it and noticed it shooting left and then right. The barrel was moving and then it locked up the gun so I can't open the cylinder. Lucky it was empty. The store I bought it at said I had to return it to the factory. I would think they would replace it. Wish now I had bought the 600 dollar S&W. Anyway it's a neet gun when it's working.

Sounds about right and not the first time I have heard of this happening.  I always considered Charter Arms to be "Saturday Night Special" anyway.  The .44 Special is a great self defense cartridge.  Try a different make handgun in .44 Special.  You won’t be sorry.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 02:14:05 PM »
I bought  Charter arms bulldog .44 in 1992 and it's been a great gun for what it is. Mine shoots alittle left and low but I don't even notice because I don't expect it to do much. It's a very short range gun.  
 I've never had a mechnical problem with this gun.
 I have heard the new ones are not as good though.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »
apparently the cylinder lockup problem is not uncommon. A friend of mine bought one, it locked up at about 60rds. He got it repaired and promply ditched it. Too bad, he really liked the gun, it was a pretty good shooter. I still have an old Charter "Undercover" in SS. The front sight fell off and was lost years ago. Still functions ok the last time I had it out of the safe. It's one of the original Charters. Hope you can get yours to work, love the 44 spl!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
:shock: Strange, I have never heard anything but praise for the Bulldog.  Mine has been good, but its only been fired a few times.  I kinda look at them like several cheaper models, if it works once when you really need it, then its done it's job.  If I had one of any brand that was not working, then I would find that sucker a new home..........

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
Bulldog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 01:06:43 PM »
I have had one since the mid 80's, never a problem. Fells good in my hand and my a huge fireball and enough noise that no Bad Guy with ANY sense will want stick around to find out what did that! Looking at the bullets in the cylinder from the front is pretty scary too!
I love mine! Hope you can get yours sorted out.
Robert

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 10:01:55 AM »
The original Bulldogs were a different dog from the Charter 2000s. Complaints on the originals were few. The Charter 2000s are the ones that seem to be problematic.
Savage

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:32:20 AM »
Haven't heard anything about the new ones, not a single test in the gun magazines.  I have owned a half dozen of the older ones over the years and still have three right now.  (wish I had the other three back also!)  They have been great little guns.  The only problem I have had (on two) was the screw in the center of the recoil shield backing out and that is easily fixed with a little loc-tite.  When that happens, they won't unlock by pushing the latch on the side, you have to pull out on the ejector rod to unlock the cylinder.  Possibly what happened to yours?  Good guns.  I have found mine to be much more accurate with jacked bullets (Blazer GD hp's) than with cast.  Enjoy  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 05:08:53 PM »
I just sent the gun to the factory. When I get it back and shoot a couple hundred   rounds through it I will let youall know what happened.
  :?

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 10:45:25 AM »
Yeah, keep us posted.

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »
44Man,
Do a search of back issues of "Handgunner". There was an article in there I believe on the Charter 2000 Bulldog Pug. The article is what convinced my friend to buy one. It was an absolute rave review!
Savage

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »
I'd stick with hard-cast or jacketed loads, just to keep the lead fouling problem from showing up.  I dearly love the 44 Special, Mike Venturino labelled it the "Caliber of the Century" and I was happy to agree with him, for a change.  A five-shot 44 beats a five or six shot 38 every time.  The bullets out of a snubby may or may not expand, with a 44, it's less of a concern!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 04:55:47 PM »
Almost two years ago, I looked very hard at the Charter 2000 .44 Special as another carry gun.  Was thinking very hard about buying it until the sales clerk brought out a S & W Model 696(no dash) he recently took in a trade.  Although the S & W is a larger revolver and not so easy to conceal, there was no comparison between the two guns.  For $390.00, I was able to buy the 696 that was in 95% condition and since have shot over 1,000 rounds using everything I could buy including Buffalo Bore Heavy .44 Special 255 gr., Keith load.  This ammo CAN NOT be used in Charter 2000 revolvers.

Nothing against the Charter 2000, but there are better .44's for sale that I think have a better track record.  Do your homework.  Just my opinion!!

oldhunter

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 02:22:13 AM »
I really wanted to love the Charter 44spl. I have a weakness for snubbies, especially large bore! My friend bought one first, I shared his experiences here in this thread. Maybe the quality will improve, I may have one yet.
Savage

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 01:51:32 PM »
Hello All
I was surprized yesterday when the Charter showed back up at my house.
That was fast service. Shipped out sep 24 and got it back oct 17.  WOW
I loaded five cast 215 sw cutters and shot it for group. At 17 yards it shot a cantaloupe size group.
Then I loaded five more using 2400. That one grouped about the size of a egg. Very little recoil. Will chronograph it in a couple days to see what we have got.   :-)

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 02:42:21 PM »
Not to cast aspersions on your new load, but why 2400 in a snubby?  I'd have thought something along the lines of 231 or Unique would be better suited to a short barrel, but that's just my um, frugal side coming thru.  Why use 15 grains of powder when eight will do the same?  Sorry for nit-picking, it just sounds like you're burning half your powder out past the gun......

PJ  (Powder Judge)
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 03:03:09 PM »
2400 has a knarly muzzle flash, hehehehehe :grin:

Offline powhs

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 04:07:45 PM »
I used 2400 because I like to fill the case with more powder than  the Unique load. And it surprized me how much better it shoots. It's even cleaner. I loaded a light load of 9 grains of 2400. Just trying things.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 09:36:22 AM »
Powhs, I use CCW 200 gr jhp Blazers for carry.  For practice I use either 200 gr xtp's or gold dots over 8 gr of unique.  Both loads will shoot five shots into a couple of inches at 10 to 15 yds, but often I will have a called flyer a couple of inches left of center.  That's the down side.  Trying to hold consistantly with a full load in a light gun (and this load does kick).  The best I could get with cast bullets in full loads was around 5" or so.  Try the jacketed bullets, I'll bet that gun will shine with them and full loads!  You can safely load 8.5 gr of unique with 200 gr bullets.  If unique was dirty for you, I'll be you were using smaller charges.  When you reach 7 or 7.5 gr, unique shoots much cleaner.  Same with .45 acp.  I love a 6gr load for practice with cast swc but it is dirty.  When I increase unique to 6.5, the loads burn much cleaner.  Enjoy that gun.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!