Author Topic: hello, i need help  (Read 1243 times)

Offline UTnoobshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
hello, i need help
« on: October 12, 2004, 05:33:52 AM »
Hi,
I'm not a child (im in college), but in terms of gun use...I'm pretty much a toddler. I am looking to get started in shooting and I was thinking about getting a rifle. A friend of mine recommended me getting a marlin 981t because of the price.
What are your thoughts? Could you offer me any advice?

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
hello, i need help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:42:41 AM »
You might want to start with a Marlin, Savage or CZ that comes with a clip feed instead of the tube feed. Tubes feeds have to be held in exactly the same spot each time as they tend to torgue the barrel.

Offline UTnoobshooter

hello, i need help
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »
i dont understand what you mean "torque the barrel"

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
hello, i need help
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 05:40:24 AM »
First of all, tell us what you intend to do with your rifle. Are you going to hunt, and if so, what type of game and at what ranges? Are you going to use your rifle for target shooting, and if so, at what ranges? What about your physical stature, and your ability to tolerate muzzle blast and recoil? Have you ever shot someone else's rifle(s), and if so, what type of rifle(s), and what was your reaction to shooting this/these? All these will figure into what kind of rifle will be best suited to your needs.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline K2

• Contributor
Re: hello, i need help
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 06:38:33 AM »
Huntsman gave excellent advice.  You need to know what use you are going to put the equipment before you can make a good choice.  A two seat car may be fun to drive but wouldn't be very practical for a family of 4 if you get the drift.  A .22 isn't a good Elk gun and a .375HH is too much for a rabbit gun.  quote="UTnoobshooter"]Hi,
I'm not a child (im in college), but in terms of gun use...I'm pretty much a toddler. I am looking to get started in shooting and I was thinking about getting a rifle. A friend of mine recommended me getting a marlin 981t because of the price.
What are your thoughts? Could you offer me any advice?[/quote]

Offline UTnoobshooter

hello, i need help
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:58:24 PM »
ok, i plan on just doing some small game hunting and some shooting at the range. im pretty small stature 5'10" 150, but i used to fight competetively.
what could i possibly hunt with a .22?
thanks a lot for the help guys

Offline K2

• Contributor
hello, i need help
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 08:47:05 AM »
For small game and informal target shooting the 981 is fine or look at the 925 with the magazine feed instead of the tube.  Either is adequate for the jobs you specified.  
Quote from: UTnoobshooter
ok, i plan on just doing some small game hunting and some shooting at the range. im pretty small stature 5'10" 150, but i used to fight competetively.
what could i possibly hunt with a .22?
thanks a lot for the help guys

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
hello, i need help
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 09:55:58 AM »
On the clip feed guns the barrel generally freefloats in the stock so it will shoot to the same point of impact each time. On the tube fed guns the tube is hanging from the barrel and it sometimes rubs on the stock and according to how you hold the stock, the gun will shoot to a slightly different point of impact each time. The tube's dynamics also change as the ammo moves from the front to the back as rounds are fired. this affects how the barrel will react and may also change the point of impact. You have to learn to hold the stock in exactly the same point each time.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
hello, i need help
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 10:09:08 AM »
Small game such as rabbits, squirrels, etc. are fair game for the rimfire .22. You wouldn't be able to legally hunt deer with a rimfire .22, however. The .22 is a great starter rifle, gets you used to the mechanics of shooting, is inexpensive, and is fun to shoot because it is about as light as you can go power-wise in a rifle. It will be limited to smaller game as a hunting rifle, however. If you plan on taking anything larger at some time, like deer or hogs, for instance, or if you want to shoot at long range (over @ 100 yards) you might consider a more powerful centerfire rifle.

Most folks I know have the .22 they started with and at least one second more powerful rifle for larger game. But since you are starting as an adult, you might want to skip over the .22 in favor of a light centerfire capable of taking smaller and larger game with different types of ammunition. .22-250, .222, .223, and a handful of other light centerfire cartridges can do double duty on small game and deer or hogs. They can also reach out to much greater distances with better accuracy than the .22 rimfire.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline savageT

hello, i need help
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »
Hey, newbee! oops....sorry I misspelled your name!
OK, Welcome to the forum and lets talk a little about some basic gun education first, alright?  There was a time in college when you could usually find a rifle team on campus sponsored by the coach or ROTC.  If this is an option open to you, make yourself known to them and try to get involved in the team or join as a member.  If not, I'm sure there are local gunclubs in the region that hold hunter safety courses in which you learn how to properly identify and handle firearms before you can get a hunters license.  In your case, if you have never handled firearms or don't have an older brother, cousin or dad/uncle that showed you the ropes, took you out for a day in the woods or field and let you handle and fire a shotgun or rifle.....get the picture?  Take the Hunter Safety Course
After that's done and you have your certificate, start visiting local target ranges and get a feel for what interests you and ask lots of questions.  Do you like shotgun sports....skeet, trap, or are you drawn to small bore (ie. .22 rimfire competition or silhouette, or do you want to get into the Holy Black...front stuffers/muzzle loaders, buckskins and Dan'l Boone?  Good Luck and keep us informed on your progress.  We'll be here for ya!

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline UTnoobshooter

hello, i need help
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 03:24:39 PM »
great man, thanks. just today i went into the ut rotc office and im going to be shown the "ropes" this very weekend. I have been playing with the idea of a military carreer for a while now, but my priority is medicine. but no one says you cant do both! i'm still very young, and i have a lot of options.
thanks for the help!

Offline HuntingGirl2005

hello, i need help
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
Maybe you should start out with a cricket (just for practice)
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith