Author Topic: Hunting new clear-cuts..  (Read 843 times)

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
Hunting new clear-cuts..
« on: June 22, 2003, 04:25:02 AM »
On my forums, there is a guy who's hunting area has just been clear-cut by a logging company. Of course, there are still woods on the surrounding areas, but he is interested in knowing how to capitalize on the new clear-cut area. Several have suggested planting Bio-Logic, and I threw in my 2 cents worth telling about the success I have had with mineral blocks and getting deer to habituate the area where I want them to be. I was wondering if anybody on here has used newly cut areas to their advantage...
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline jhm

Hunting new clear-cuts..
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 04:56:12 AM »
Dave :  Depending on when it was clear cut mother nature is going to provide him with a lot of natural new grouth if cut too late he may have to introduce something that will grow quick for this year, myself I tried the big named seed plot mixture on several of the food plots here on the place and wasnt overly impressed, with the cost of them I believe a man can go to the local farm supply and buy seeds of the corn, bean, pee, and wheat and oats mix them up and plant them and will do just as well and would be helping the other game as well,  I will be planting my food plots when I get back from 2 wk. at the lake for the 4th of july, do it then every year and it works out good for us in this area have plenty of new growth for the bow season and the plants usually are finished maturing b-4 deer season, leave everything stand thru the winter and into spring when the native new growth starts, also several corn feeders also to suplement their needs dont hurt. :D    JIM

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Hunting new clear-cuts..
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 07:43:46 AM »
The single best tip I have for anyone hunting in new clear cuts is to fine a nearby tree you can climb to look down into the new clearcut area. If needed make trails in the new area for deer to use. They will use trails you clear thru the thick new growth and you can cause them to come near your stand site this way and give you a good shot. That used to be the main way I hunted.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline brotherinlaw

Hunting new clear-cuts..
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 07:14:54 AM »
Depending upon how recent the area is clear cut - last week or 6 months ago is critical. Nature will provide ample new groth. I don't want to rain on any sponsors but my experience is that the high price commercial mixes do not fare well on newly exposed timberland soil. I would suggest planting crops  that are common in the area along with some fertilizer. Ask your local county agent. If you need something fast, try winter rye grass. It grows fast and holds up well during the season, even during the colder months. Scout for trails across the cut.

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
Hunting new clear-cuts..
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 01:46:19 PM »
I have been hunting clear cuts since i started hunting  4 years ago and i haven't done anything to improve the deer movement. Mainly because i don't have to.  The clearcuts near me are all on the edge of swamps and blueberry bush patches.  
So this provides them with shelter in the clear cut, food, and a swamp to run to in case of danger.  
The clear cut shelters them well.  I remember last year one morning when it was about 7:00am.  I was just on the edge of the cut with a couple downed trees and a small pile of brush 35-40 yards in front of me.  I could clearly see there were no deer in the area so i hung my bow up....two minutes later i watched as two deer slowly immerged from that small brush pile and calmly walked to the swamp :lol:

Offline crow_feather

Hunting new clear-cuts..
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 08:09:04 AM »
I AM FROM A DIFFERENT STATE BUT THOUGHT I MIGHT THROW IN MY 2 PENNIES.  ARE YOU SURE THAT IMPROVING THE AREA WITH NON NATURAL PRODUCTS ISN'T CONSIDERED BAITING?  MY TWO PENNIES IS UP - I'M GONE

c f
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.