Author Topic: Alternative sources for 1887s?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
Alternative sources for 1887s?
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:19:42 AM »
Is anybody other than Coyote Cap turning our Winchester 1887s? Everything I've read about him inidicates he does good work, but supplies seem to be a bit sporadic. Is anybody going to be offering them regularly? I'd heard someone was supposed to start, but that was a while back. I searched for Interstate Arms Corp but all I got was a company that only sells to police, and I wouldn't expect such a company to offer repros of arms used in the Old West.
Peace through superior firepower.

Offline Lazarus Longshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
Sporadic? They haven't even been imported yet! The only ones in the country are a few samples.

There was an Australian company that tried to build a repro 87 a few years ago, but only a very few guns were ever built before the project failed.

Cap is your best line to the IAC folks and the state of the current IAC 87 project, as he is pretty much the ramrod for the whole thing. Get ahold of him or one of his folks, and you can pretty much find out what is happening.

I've got two of the 87s on order from Cap; one is a Cap WCSE special, and the other  is a full length 87 to surprise the folks on the skeet field!
SASS #44254L, ROII
SBSS #1314, OGB- SCORRS
NRA Endowment - TSRA Life - GOA Life
Oakwood Outlaws - Thunder River Renegades
[img]

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:27:25 PM »
Laz is number 32 in line for the 87's.  Been 3(?) years since I put my $$ down (I'm 90 on the list).

Cap had to go up on the price a bit and many of the first 1000 said they would be dropping out.  That said a lot of us also said we're in to whatever the cost (within reason).

Cap either is in China or has returned and he is over there to get the first batch shipped.  I don't know what the waiting list is like but might want to check with them.

There are to be some non Coyote Cap Specials coming in and they are on first come, first served.  Don't know if any are left but that is another way to go.

CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:38:48 PM »
are you guys talking about the norinco clones? they'd been advertised for a long time her in canada but never arrived. but apparently a dealer has a shipment sitting in customs right now so that could change. and i think the norinco embargo is only on military desgins like the 1911 and m14, i've seen the sporting model 97  & 870 clones for sale on US websites
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Lazarus Longshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »
The Norinco  company has nothing to do with these guns, since Norinco cannot import anything into the U.S because of the ban. The importer is Interstate Arms Corporation, and they have contracted directly with a Chinese factory to produce these guns. If you look at these guns, you'll find that they are not marked "Norinco". All these guns are marked IAC . If you find a gun marked Norinco, it's a "pre-ban" leftover.

Coyote Cap is the gunsmith who went to China several times as a representative of IAC to get the 87 project going. IAC has now begin importation of the standard 87 shotguns with 20" barrels, and they are showing up on dealers' shelves. I have received my first Coyote Cap WCSE 87 with the 18 1/2"" barrel, and it is SWEET! Now I just have to figure out the best way to run the gun.....
SASS #44254L, ROII
SBSS #1314, OGB- SCORRS
NRA Endowment - TSRA Life - GOA Life
Oakwood Outlaws - Thunder River Renegades
[img]

Offline pc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 03:27:24 AM »
I recently picked my 1887 up and love it have not fired it yet though, but have cycled a box of shells through and it fed and ejected great.

Offline pc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 03:29:24 AM »
I would like to know more about the histroy of there actual use, and where they issued to lawman of the era or did the average citizen use them ??

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
Finally got mine 4 days ago.  Been practicing with dummy shells.  Figure with my lack of skill last thing I need to do it use real ones. :wink:

My first one in (got a pair coming--it's a long story) is the custom one.  Very nice wood and it gun seems to work OK.  Still has some rough spots around but it the action works.

I went ahead and rounded the inside front of the lever.  After I did that found out that there is a chance of the pin falling out and that's why they came up with and included the most God-awful lever wrap I've ever seen.  Going to work on a two parter to see if I can improve the looks.  Give me something else to do.

The second one is supposed to be brought up the the custom one (there was a foul-up and two came in for the first 100 customers--we got a choice to take both, either or none--my brother jumped in to get the other one).  It will have a 2 inch longer barrel but no choke tubes and the barrel will be a bit thinner.

Anyway I go play cowboy in a couple of weeks and we'll see how she does.

CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 02:21:55 PM »
Almost forget (OK, I did forget)

Cap says the ones coming in that he doesn't work on will stovepipe a few shells out of 25--he lists some fixes on his website to correct this.

Just wanted you to know where to look if you are having "issues" with yours (anyone out there with one)

CR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB