Author Topic: Who's Going...........  (Read 871 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Who's Going...........
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »
Who's going Elk hunting this year and where are you going?  I'm stuck to hunting in California this year.  Would liked to have gone to New Mexico but not in the cards.  Where is everyone else going?  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Who's Going...........
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 01:07:02 PM »
:D  I am ...

45-70 with a 410gr. cast bullet using 38 gr. of 3031 giving me about 1300fps.

I'll be in the Little Belt Mountains south of Great Fall.  Come daylight on October 23rd, you will find me (actually I bet ya won't  8) ) in m blind overlooking a small clearning on a nice ridge about 7800 ft. in elevation.

Thanks for asking   :grin:

Offline crow_feather

Who's Going...........
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 08:08:05 PM »
I drew on the controlled hunt where the elk migrate out of Yellowstone and head for their winter area.  It is out my back door and two miles up the road.  Now it is just waiting for the first big snow.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Turtle

• Avid Poster
Who's Going...........
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 06:20:54 AM »
We're getting close.  Opening day is October 15th.   Usually hunt muzzleloader, but this year we drew 1st season rifle for Northern Colorado.
Will be between 8000 and 9000 ft.  
It's been hot and dry the last month and I have heard it messed with the rut a little this year. We'll see.  Usually October can bring wind which really messes things up.  We're already gonna have a full moon for the 5 day season but hopefully the wind won't blow.

-Turtle-

Offline L-Ray

Who's Going...........
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 08:55:52 AM »
Headed to S. central Colorado for the Oct 22 season.

Offline muskyhunter

Who's Going...........
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 03:34:54 AM »
Leaving Nov 1st for GMU 28 (Williams Peak area) and hunting 3rd rifle elk season.

First time elk hunting for me (for that matter the first time I will be hunting outside of IL or WI). Really looking forward to it. I am going with a coworker, his dad and his dads friend.

Offline SAMinWI

elk
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 08:53:22 AM »
Leaving Oct 7th for Selway wilderness in Idaho.   Taking my 2 sons on their first elk hunt.   should be fun.
Yours in Shooting,
Sam Gascho

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: Who's Going...........
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 08:59:56 AM »
Quote from: Lawdog
Who's going Elk hunting this year and where are you going?  I'm stuck to hunting in California this year.  Would liked to have gone to New Mexico but not in the cards.  Where is everyone else going?  Lawdog

Marlin® 444SS with Hornady® Light Magnum® 265gr FP; hunting the Olympic Peninsula for Roosevets starting Nov 5th.

Offline gallatin

Who's Going...........
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 04:21:19 PM »
Oct 30 is the opner will be between Ellensburg and Wenatche with my 1895 cowboy 45-70
its at about 5500ft
backpacking in on a solo hunt
John

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Who's Going...........
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »
I hunt near Dubois, Wyoming nad the season started 1st Oct. Won't get to go till the 4th but am psyched for it. Plan to use my 629 Classic this year but will be close to my 300 wthby just in case....
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
Hunt
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 11:06:55 AM »
We're coming to North Park and plan on hunting Big Creek Lakes near 7 lakes. Does anyone have a local snow report for the high country and area 161?
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Who's Going...........
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 05:00:16 AM »
I'm leaving for Montana next week,  - have a combo deer, elk, & small game tags.  Hope to shoot a few phesants along with the big game.  Plans are to start out in the east end of the state and hunt my way across.  I have places lined up from the Missouri river breaks to the Cabinet Mtns. Normally I would be back from my annual muzzle loader hunt to Colo but had too many irons in the fire to go both places. Didn't draw my Wyo antelope tag this year either.  I sent my neighbor to my honey hole in Colo but he came back empty handed.- guess I should have went along to hold his hand. lol. :D   good luck to all
James

Offline SAMinWI

back from Idaho
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:06:08 AM »
hunted unit 17 from 10/10 - 10/16     TOO HOT!.     Sons saw 3 cows apiece and several mule deer does.   I saw 3 bucks, and harvested 1.  Also saw a wolf at about 20 yards.   Heard wolfs howling 2 different mornings.   Outfitters and hunters I talked to had seen no bulls.   Outfitters said wolfs were screwing up the elk hunting in that area.  
1st time west for my sons and that had a blast.   May be my last time to be with them on a hunting trip like that.  Was very rough country for me.   fun anyway.
Yours in Shooting,
Sam Gascho
Yours in Shooting,
Sam Gascho