Author Topic: Hi Point Compact 9mm - First impression  (Read 446 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi Point Compact 9mm - First impression
« on: October 18, 2005, 04:41:18 PM »
After lots of research on the web I bought a Hi Point 9mm pistol about three weeks ago.  I bought it for several reasons; price, new to semi-auto's, made in Ohio, lifetime warranty.  Today was the first chance I got to try it out.  Here is my initial impression.

Keep in mind that this is my first semi-auto; I'm a single-action guy (Ruger Blackhawk), and really know very little about semi's.

I used Winchester FMJ 115 grain factory loads and fired at a local indoor range.  The Hi Point manual recommends jacketed ammunition.

I loaded two rounds in the magazine and started shooting.  I continued to load two rounds each time, only loading four rounds the last time.  I shot a total of 50 rounds from distances ranging between 5 yards to 15 yards.  While 50 rounds is certainly not a true test, it is a beginning.  I had no malfunctions.  I was thinking that since the last round in the magazine has less spring pressure on it than all others in the magazine, this would be a good method to test for malfunctions.  Again, I am new to semi-autos so this line of thought may be all wet.

No malfunctions, but accuracy was another matter.  I shot free hand using only one hand as I do with single actions.  The first two shots (at 5 yards) missed the 8 1/2 x 11 paper target but hit the backing board that is about 20 inches x 30 inches.  The shots were low and to the right.  Two more shots showed the same location.  I adjusted the rear sight with the only screwdriver I had at the time ( a Swiss Army knife).  The next group was in the paper target but still to the right.  After several adjustments I could consistantly hit the paper from 5, 10, and 15 yards.  Not what I would consider a "nail- driver", but off-hand is not the best test when looking at accuracy.  The last four shots I purposely fired as fast as I could with the target at 15 yards.  Out of a total of 50 shots 40 hit the 8 1/2 x 11 paper target and 49 shots hit the backing board.  Only one shot missed entirely and that one was in the last group of four that I fired as fast as I could.  Three of those shots hit the paper target within about a four inch circle.

Conclusion; the gun functioned as expected with no problems.  It's a bit clunky and probably to large to carry concealed comfortably.  A true test of accuracy would require a bench mount, or at least a sandbag rest.  As for recoil; it seems to be more than my Ruger's, but not so bad that target reacquisition is a serious problem.  The next time out I'll try a full magazine and see how it functions.  After the initial sight adjustments, a bad guy within 15 yards would be in trouble.

JR

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi Point Compact 9mm - First impression
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 01:03:15 AM »
Welcome to the world of semi autos! Glad your experience was mostly positive.  Hope you get to experience some other semis in the near future. Enjoy!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,