Author Topic: Pheasant Opener a Bust!  (Read 320 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Pheasant Opener a Bust!
« on: October 15, 2005, 11:21:17 AM »
Wrong choice of hunting area...Too many Hunters...Too much standing corn...No dogs...Just wasn't our day.  We got skunked.  Didn't even see a bird, bunny or squirrel.  I am blaming it on my wife.  Yes, the Good Lord usually listens to her and I am sure she requested that we not see anything on our hunt today.LOL  She was raised on the Iron Range and pretty much had her fill of wild game as a youngster.

I did get to shoot up a few squash from my nephew's garden.  That 12ga, 22" really has a kick to it.  Not so much on the 24".  I really like the 20ga. , too.   When you're walkin' in grass nearly chin deep, it's nice to have a light and short gun.  Much easier to carry.  

We had a great time, even though we never even saw anything to shoot.  My wife  has been instructed to use a different prayer the next time.LOL  It would be nice to, at least get to see something.  It was a good day to be in the field and I am grateful to the Good Lord that I am healthy enough to enjoy it.  

Have a great weekend.  Cookieman
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline NONYA

• Trade Count: (0)
Pheasant Opener a Bust!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 02:39:33 PM »
I have seen some slow days with dogs,i cant imagine even trying it without them.Unless i had open country or stubble with rows to spot and flush the birds in i wouldnt bother.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Pheasant Opener a Bust!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 05:43:14 PM »
The area we hunted is about 1000 acres.  It is mixed...farmland, woods and grassy fields.  Some spots the grass was 4' high.  The beans have been cut, but the corn was still standing.  We worked it hard, but with only 2 guys its a little hard to drive effectively.  We gave it our best shot.  At least the weather was nice and it was good to get out.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Pheasant Opener a Bust!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 04:24:48 AM »
sounds like you had a good day of hunting cookieman !

here's what you see in my back yard !

sg

there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
Pheasant Opener a Bust!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 05:01:17 AM »
Oh for that sight!  We just couldn't find em.  Thanks for the pic !
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"