Author Topic: Ruger Vaquero Action Strength ?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Ruger Vaquero Action Strength ?
« on: October 20, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »
Can the old style (not the newer slimmed down version) Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt handle the TC/Blackhawk loads?  I'm looking at loading up some stout 250gr cast loads for hunting.

thanks,
Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Camel 23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »
yes it can

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 02:24:07 PM »
Thanks... after I posted the Q, I continued thumbing thru my 45 colt "Loadbook" and Speer's introduction page called out the Vaquero as well as the Blackhawk and the Contender.  The other bullet maker's pages did not.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 05:20:18 PM »
That new Vaquero is a Small Frame and I have mainly been hearing NO as far as the hotter loads are concerned.

Offline jro45

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 03:56:42 AM »
I know the NEW MODEL blackhawk can handle some real hot loads. I thought the Vaquero was a strong handgun, but I would inquier with Ruger first. :D

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:03:56 AM »
One of three dealerships that I frequent berated that new Vaquero as being weaker than a SA Colt but with even weaker springs.
I did recieve some common sense advice that checks out right here on Graybeard.

The smaller framed Vaqueros aren't weaker than Colts, they are in between the Colt and the large original Vaquero in strength. Brian Pearce wrote an article giving loads for the new Ruger frame. He pushed it a little harder than a Colt, but not as high pressured as you can load an original Vaquero.

Ruger did install some lighter springs, since that's something that many customers were doing anyway. Unless the internal surfaces are very rough, so that you need strong springs to overcome the drag, there's no reason to go with heavy springs. Strong enough to function, but not strong enough to cause premature wear, is a good level of spring force

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 05:14:14 AM »
I think you're running into a problem with nomenclature. There's the "New Model" Blackhawk, which is not really all that new but is as opposed to the older 3-screw model.  The Vaquero is generally a fixed-site, cowboy-style Blackhawk; and the original Vaquero (introduced maybe 8-10 years ago now) had the large, strong frame similar to that of the "New Model" Blackhawk; and both the Blackhawk and the earlier Vaqueros had plenty of strength to handle strong loads.  BUT, since a lot of cowboy competition shooters don't want or need to shoot full-strength high-power loads in their guns ... AND want a gun with a slightly smaller frame than the original Vaquero, like the original Colts and their clones ... Ruger figured it could make a smaller-framed Vaquero to satisfy that need.  So the "New Model" Vaquero is smaller-framed than the old model Vaquero, which is similar to the "New Model" Blackhawk ... I think.