Author Topic: Who should be at fault?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Who should be at fault?
« on: December 03, 2002, 05:44:37 AM »
Reading a few messages about folk’s lack of knowledge regarding concealed carry guns reminds me of a problem I have here in Alabama.
Every county has different "standards" and prices for a license to carry a gun.  I talked to sheriff and discovered several things I thought were legal but was actually illegal.  I asked if I could get any information on the laws and was told by the sheriff that he did have anything.  I was shocked!!!

I think this is absolutely insane that I could go to prison for breaking laws that I can’t get any information to see if I’m breaking the law.  Every sheriff office in Alabama has different forms and has no standardization but I’m responsible for knowing all this and could get in serious trouble if I fail to do so.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Who should be at fault?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 06:04:09 AM »
Since I too am from Bama maybe we can talk this thru if you'll be more explicit in what it is you are referring to. I really don't understand from what you said just what info you are looking for.

The carry law is a State not county law. Each county sherriffis responsible under it for issuing the carry permits. I think the state not the county determines how much they charge for them. Currently in Calhoun I pay $10 and have for several years since it went up from $5 per year.

It is definitely in the best interest of each department to issue the permits as the money they receive from them stays in their department for use as they see fit and is all "off budget" so no one else but the sherriff determines how it it used.

The permits issued are STATE not local and are thus recognized and valid in every county in the state. Each city can impose some limited restrictions on you I believe and the state also has some. For instance your permit is not valid in any establishment that serves alcohol. I believe this is as a main product sold and doesn't apply for instance in a restaurant which happens to also server beer but who's main product line is food. In a bar your permit is not valid. There is also some restrictions as to carrying in large public gatherings but I'm a wee bit unclear on this one.

So what more do you want to know? BTW the standard in the entire nation is "ignorance of the law is NO excuse". So you are responsible to know the law everywhere in the nation or face the consequences if you violate it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wareagleguy

Yes, true on some
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2002, 09:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply GB.

I pay $12.50 for my permit in Franklin County and it was $8.00 in Lauderdale County when I moved.  Also, each sheriffs department has its own forms to fill out.  NO STATE STANDARD FORMS!!!  I asked where I could find information about the gun laws of Alabama and I was told by the Sheriff of FRANKLIN county that he didn't have any of that information to hand out to me.  If I can get the regulations on hunting and fishing at any local Wal-Mart why on gods green earth is it so difficult to get the same on a pistol permit.  I agree with you that it is up to each of us to "know the law" but I encourage you to find any of the information through the sheriff’s office!

Also, if I pay more for my pistol permit than you does that mean I get other privileges?  If not, it sounds to me that it should be illegal for me to pay more than you for the same privilege.  I don’t know of any other permit that the price changes from county to county.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Who should be at fault?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2002, 10:10:21 AM »
Didn't realize the price wasn't the same in each county. Game laws are kinda unique really among all the laws of the land. They are the only organization within government I know of that put out into to you on what they expect. BUT be aware what they are putting out is the law but only the seasons info for the current year. For laws you still have to look elsewhere.

Each county and major city should have a public library which has copies of all the laws of the state. Problem is there is no single place to look for laws that affect the use and carry of guns. Our local sheriff's office a lot more cooperative than yours seems to be.

Still like being aware of all the laws on anything it really requires a great deal of effort to find them. I've been packing concealed for over 36 years now and ain't likely to change what I do.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline KING

• A Real Regular
Who should be at fault?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2002, 06:01:30 PM »
:D If your are that worried i would contact the head PROS. ATTY IN THAT COUNTY..  He should be able to answer any questions that you might have,and from my experiance,and i have talked to a lot of em..they will be honest with ya....If ya find any laws that you have questions on,ask how they are interpreted .....king..stay safe :grin:
THE ONLY FEMALE THAT I TRUST IS A LABRADOR.......AND SHE DONT SNOORE,AND DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT MY COOKING...THE ONLY GODS THAT EXIST ARE THOSE THAT HAVE ONE IN THE CHAMBER,AND 19 IN THE MAG.......

Offline Beetle

Who should be at fault?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 12:45:51 PM »
:D You might try going to the State of Alabama web page.  Look for gun laws or Concealed carry permits.  I'm from Colo. and got a lot of information that way for this state.  Good luck