Author Topic: Why Browning is the best.  (Read 31485 times)

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Why Browning is the best.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »
I have 2 browning rifles. A beat-up 30/06 a-bolt with a 59 dollar tasco on it and a 7mm mag BAR BOSS with a nikon monarch. The 06 shoots ten shot groups you can cover with a quarter.(Probably 20 shots but Ill save the rest for deer season). The bar wont shoot better than 4 inch groups with any ammo with the boss on or off, tried fed fusion,fed premium with barnes x, nosler part, and corelocked in 150 and 165 grain. Guess which gun goes hunting with me! Anybody want to buy a BAR 7 mm with BUSS?

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 02:04:41 AM »
An update on number of these 222 A-bolts made for '07 ShotShow.

They made 180 A-bolts like mine in 222 and 880 all told in different configurations.

The gun is most defently a keeper and will provide years of good shooting.
"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."

Offline mrussel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 09:09:14 PM »
I wasted money on a BOSS. My first 30-06 handloads shot a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards, 6 inches low. I adjusted the scope and my second group was 1"  and dead on the bullseye. I have never touched the BOSS or even tried another load. Why should I?
I know it sounds like a load of bovine feces but it really is so.

Seems to me like you didnt waste the money,you just got very lucky and it was already adjusted perfectly for what you shot.

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
MR, you are of course right but I felt a little cheated that I paid extra for a feature that I thought would be a "toy" I could play with and now I'm scared to touch it. It's like a Guy I met years ago who bought a new 63 split window Corvette and immediately heard the announcement that it was being replaced with a full window for safety reasons. Knowing it would be quite valuable one day he trailored it and never drove it. It was worth a lot and got a lot of attention at all the car shows during the 70's and 80's but he never got to drive it. Feels kind of like that to me.   

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
I have only owned 2 Brownings, a BPS shotgun, and a Buck mark pistol.  The shotgun has been a really good gun, except that the tolerances are so tight that after shooting 3-4 boxes of shells the chamber has to be cleaned with a bronze brush or the action will stick when pumping out the spent shell, eventually jamming the gun.  

The pistol has been starting to jam lately, I had trouble taking it apart for a good cleaning, was careful not to bend anything.  Thinking of selling it, or just keep it as a shooter.  I had 7 stove pipes the other day out of 150 rounds fired, not all that bad, but I would be reluctant to use it for hunting or home defense.  I don't think the quality of steel is all that good either, it shows more wear than my Ruger Mk 3, they both have about the same amount of ammo through them.

I had read that the Gold shotguns were blowing up on some people about 10 years ago, and they did have a batch of bad rifle barrels about 20 years ago, otherwise that is the only other dirt I heard on them.

I am glad I read this post with the troubles people have had with Browning, I was looking at getting the X-bolt in .270, not a good idea at this time.

Offline ROZA745

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm a Browning fan, they're like any other Man., some will give you trouble, when they have I get rid of them, at least 50% of the cust. serv. jerks are jerks!  But, I own 13 of them, do a lot of bench shooting, (my own range) and I couldn't ask for better shooters, if they won't shoot 1" & under, I don't own them.  As for the "Boss" system, PURE B.S.!! YOU DON'T NEED THAT UGLY PIECE OF #*## on the end of your barrel! Three of my BLRS are shooters, rest collectors, they will shoot 1" and under!  Precision handloading is the key, load it correct, then get rid of the boss!

Offline Waldo Pepper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
I added an A-bolt in 257 Roberts and it factory engraved model that looked to be unfired for $650 shipped and it also drives tacks at 100 yards sight in range at about 3/8's inch. And like my A-bolt 222 the action and trigger needs no aftermarket work.
"How is it you do not understand me when I speak? It is because you cannot bear to listen to my words."