Author Topic: posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ  (Read 24980 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Trade Count: (32)
Re: posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
I kind of side with the guys that say its your own responsibilty to keep your own self safe. I just want to say that there was at one time a reason for this. I had a guy on that got some ruger load suggestions mixed up and shot some real heavy stuff in his small framed gun. He didnt get hurt but it opened my eyes to the fact that not all of us are experienced handguners and especially not experienced loaders. to be honest id like to see ALL the loading conversations taken to the loading section of the forum. thats what its there for. I realize that when talking about single actions its hard to avoid a bit of talking about loads so i made a simple request that you post a source for your recomendations just so some beginner can use a load without getting hurt because bottom line is you can preach till your blue in the face about how stupid it is to get loading info from a fourm but guys are going to do it anyway. So there it is. While im moderator i will delete anything that doesnt have a source until bill decides he doesnt want me to moderate anymore. Aint no one getting banned or even yelled at. If you dont follow it your post disapears when and if i see it. Simple as that and simple it will stay as i have no intention of making the rule any stricter either again unless bill says it must be so and then i will decide if it follows my beliefs and decide whether i will still moderate here. Larry and metplat are the type of guys that i want at my range. at least semi intelegent and with a little comon sense thrown it to boot. We might even be able to crack a beer without shooting each other.
blue lives matter

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: posting of loads on this forum PLEASE READ
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
What most beginners need to know even load data given to them by someone standing face to face to them and even if the person is as honest as the day is long can have a forgetful moment.  Could quote the wrong powder, the wrong charge weight,  the wrong bullet weight,  the wrong seating depth,  the wrong powder or even giving the wrong caliber for another.
That is the reason all beginners need to consult a "BOOK".  I do that myself and I have been reloading for 41 years and still will research loads over, under around and through.
Why do beginners think they don't have too knowing how mistake ridden human beings are.
I am now working with a Jerry Michlek (SP) 45 ACP revolver.  I am going to try Bullseye in it and an working with 2 different bullets  the 259 Magma RNFP and a 270 Mihec that weighs 280 grs.
I know that Speer Number 11 and 13 manuals list 5.2 gr Bullseye with a 260 gr JHP bullet for the 45 Colt in 45 acp cases.  The seating depth for the bullet is .380" my 250 gr Magma seats at .355" and that the 45 Auto Rim Starline cases I have have roughly 4 percent more capacity than the average 45 ACP case.  Would I start at max?  No.  Close to it yes because I know under that circumstance I will be safe.  With the 270 Mihec I will start more than low enough and sneak up very gradually on the charge.
Remember that a 2 percent increase on a 5.0 gr charge is a  .1 gr change.  In a rifle a 2 percent change in a 50 gr charge is 1 grain.
This is where research comes in and most beginners don't do it.
Still Look in the book,  books and a manual.

You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »
Ok,  In order to avoid helping some fool hurt himself or self destruct.

I went back and modified all my posts with the grains of powder listed to read XX grains versus the actual weight.

I realize that there is much less safety margin when loading for pistols versus rifles and that you have the real chance of a double charge with pistol powders.
This is why I try to use a powder that gives as close as possible to a full case loading when reloading for rifles and pistols, it reduces the chance of error.

Not being able to list the actual powder weight really negates posting reloading data except to say which powder gave the best accuracy and you can still post the velocity if you have chronograph.  So that is what I did with my editing of my earlier posts with the number of grains of powder listed changed to be xx.

What you say can be used against you in court as Lloyd noted, but it is a shame that the world has come to this.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Guess we will be PC now.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »
It is not PC.  It is necessary.  There are many fools out there that will not do the work, take a hot load and hurt themselves.  Lloyd's request is not out of line.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Online Lloyd Smale

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »
anyone here that knows me knows that i give charlie sheen a good run for the money in the politicaly correct dept. Biggest reason i made the rule was im to lazy to have to constantly monitor this forum for idiots who dont know how to load safely. Its about like i tell my wife. Its what it is and you know where the door is.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »
I feel it is PC as the ones forcing PC is an effort in the political arena to "protect us from ourselves"
I don't disagree with the rule , just see it for what it is protecting those who aren't smart enough to protect themselves.

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »
Lloyd wrote:

Online Lloyd Smale   
  • Trade Count: (23)
    • View Profile
    • Email
    • Personal Message (Online)
     Re: posting of loads on this fourm PLEASE READ  « Reply #35 on: Today at 06:29:33 AM »     anyone here that knows me knows that i give charlie sheen a good run for the money in the politicaly correct dept. Biggest reason i made the rule was im to lazy to have to constantly monitor this forum for idiots who dont know how to load safely. Its about like i tell my wife. Its what it is and you know where the door is.    Report to moderator    Logged  sixgun addict   

Lloyd,   Sometimes it is ok to act like a bull in a China Shop.   We sometimes forget that there are lots of mentally challenged individuals who use the internet who lack even two cents worth of common sense.    Anything you post can be taken out of context and misused by a certain percentage of our readers.   Just like the difference of opinions between some of us and Swampman, seldom are any of us 100% right or wrong for that matter, only Swampman has a monoply on always being right.   I for one appreciate your reminder and I took action to fix my past posts with the number of grains of powder listed.

It takes a bold or wishful man to show his madam the door.  Thanks for the tip.   
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 04:27:10 AM »
This is GB's forum and I don't blame him for wanting to avoid entanglements with a batch of lawyers..guess I'd want the same "firewall" of protection.  Just my $.02...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:17 AM »
Lloyd's the moderator here and that's fine, he can do what he wants.
When is the last time or any time anyone has been sued for any load information given on this or any other forum?  I've never heard of a single instance.  I have heard lots of dire "the sky is falling" warnings though.  If we are so afraid of lawyers and suits then it's probably best to just shut down this and all forums, quit reloading and just buy factory ammo. 
What's the difference where loads are discussed on Graybeard's forum?  Shifting to another place isn't going to avoid any lawsuit if there is ever going to be one.  I've seen newbies and very experienced reloaders misuse loading information and haven't seen a lawsuit yet.  I think this is an answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

Larry Gibson

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »
Lloyd's the moderator here and that's fine, he can do what he wants.
When is the last time or any time anyone has been sued for any load information given on this or any other forum?  I've never heard of a single instance.  I have heard lots of dire "the sky is falling" warnings though.  If we are so afraid of lawyers and suits then it's probably best to just shut down this and all forums, quit reloading and just buy factory ammo. 
What's the difference where loads are discussed on Graybeard's forum?  Shifting to another place isn't going to avoid any lawsuit if there is ever going to be one.  I've seen newbies and very experienced reloaders misuse loading information and haven't seen a lawsuit yet.  I think this is an answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

Larry Gibson

Larry I agree, but you know there is a first time for everything.  It would be my luck to be a test case.   :'(
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Online Lloyd Smale

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
Bill (greybeard) had absolutely nothing to do with my decision to run this forum that way. Ive seldom heard him coment either way. It sure wasnt done to prevent bill or myself from getting suited. It was done to squelch some of the internet experts out there from poisoning this forum with uneducated advice.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
It is what it is lets talk SA handguns ! PM any wild azz loads ! Nuff said .