Author Topic: will bsa air scope also hold up on 30-06 gun?  (Read 963 times)

Offline Jeff-B

• Trade Count: (0)
will bsa air scope also hold up on 30-06 gun?
« on: October 24, 2005, 02:28:47 AM »
i was wondering if since regular scopes cant hold up on the magnum air rifles ,  if the scopes designed for the mag air guns can hold up on regular rifles . i was wondering about tis scope inparticular......
http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=441&Prod_Code=AR312X40
could this serve  on a 30-06 rifle as well ?????

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
will bsa air scope also hold up on 30-06 gu
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:13:39 AM »
The scope would probably have no trouble surviving. You're face on the other hand probably wouldn't appreciate having this scope implanted into you're forehead due to lack of eyerelief.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:19:45 AM »
If it doesn't hold up, then they will probably replace it. But like Krochus said, the eye relief is pretty bad on such a recoil producing rifle as an -06.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 07:58:24 AM »
I wouldn't put a BSA on anything I own....ever.

Offline Lawdog

Re: will bsa air scope also hold up on 30-06 gun?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »
Quote from: Jeff-B
i was wondering if since regular scopes cant hold up on the magnum air rifles ,  if the scopes designed for the mag air guns can hold up on regular rifles . i was wondering about tis scope inparticular......
http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=441&Prod_Code=AR312X40
could this serve  on a 30-06 rifle as well ?????

I mounted a BSA AR312X44 on my .378 Weatherby Magnum during the barrel break in period(over 100 rounds).  Worked just fine.  I didn't feel like waiting for my Burris 1.75X-5X-32mm Safari to arrive(it had to be back ordered) so I mounted the BSA on it.  The eye relief of 3" on the BSA didn't cause any problems.  If a BSA air rifle scope will hold up under a .378 Weatherby Magnum then they don't make a .30-06 that will harm it or you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Jeff-B

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 06:09:09 PM »
thanks lawdog   by the way..if u get a chance i have 2 questions in the air gun section that id value your opinion on..thanks to you and the other posters here

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:46:14 AM »
I look at it like this, if I am on a hunt of a life time or have the buck of a life time standing in front of me, the last thing I want on my rifle is a BSA scope. Quality optics is what is important to me.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 10:04:15 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I look at it like this, if I am on a hunt of a life time or have the buck of a life time standing in front of me, the last thing I want on my rifle is a BSA scope. Quality optics is what is important to me.  :D

So very true.  I didn't leave the BSA scope on my .378 after the Burris arrived.  Like many I have a few scopes laying around and it just happened at the time the BSA was one of three scopes I had available.  The other two are brand new Bushnell's that are faulty and I’m not sure if I would trust them on a .22 rimfire.  What I did proves that even a low cost scope approved for springer air rifle use will stand up to the pounding of a big bore rifle.  If one wanted to use one they could but I too recommend using a higher quality scope.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 11:59:57 AM »
You know, just recently I ordered a BSA Mil-Dot in 4-16x40mm.I was needing a scope for my 17HMR. But, like everyone else I have heard many reports about BSA and have owned a couple in the past=yes these where trash. Friend had a Contender in 8-32 After 10 power you couldn't tell what you were looking at.
SO yeah I was a little worried about the clarity and quality, and well everything.  
I have to say I am very glad I did order it though. I am not sure if I just got a good one, or if BSA's over all quality has improved, but it's very clear, not fuzzy, and not as dark as most scopes I have seen in this power, like Tasco's or some Simmons. I have a Tasco Varmint model 6-24x44 with 1/8 dot fine cross hairs, the model next up from the World Class, on my 223 H&R. The BSA is more clear than it. Take it for what it's worth.
No it's not an award winning quality scope, there are short cuts in the manfacturing of it, like the rubber coating came off a little on the turret covers, just to name one.
Granted I only put it on a 17HMR, a rifle with very little/no recoil, but it has held zero and adjustments are pretty close to 1/8.
For the money, by the way was only $60 from Natchez, I doubt I could have done any better for a higher power scope that is as clear as this one.
No I am not all out for BSA, as I mentioned earlier I have seen some trash from them, but that's not what I got.
Lets hope that thier quality has stepped up.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 01:01:51 PM »
myarmor,

I have to say I am very glad I did order it though. I am not sure if I just got a good one, or if BSA's over all quality has improved, but it's very clear, not fuzzy, and not as dark as most scopes I have seen in this power
[/b]

The reason behind this is that about three years, or less, ago BSA changed the way they manufactured their scopes.  Before that I would be the first in line to compare them to Tasco(a POS if there ever was one).  I have seen their old spotting scopes and they were so tinny they resembled kids toys.  I have also seen the new spotting scopes they are making and they are surprisingly clear, sharp and bright.  The only complaint I have against their spotting scopes is the focus adjustments are so touchy.  Maybe one Just needs to learn to adjust them?  Lawdog

Offline myarmor

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 01:16:07 PM »
Seems like I heard something about that, but never found out any more information on it.
 Thanks for the heads up lawdog :agree: