Author Topic: Leupold VXIII with Burris Signature Rings...Help!  (Read 413 times)

Offline sockeye3

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold VXIII with Burris Signature Rings...Help!
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:51:35 PM »
I am currently trying to mount my new 4.5-14 Leupold VXIII scope to a Weatherby 300 Mag.  I am sold on the double dovetail rings and bases so I've gone with Burris Signature rings with the synthetic inserts.  My problem is I can tighten the top half and the bottom half of the rings until there is no gap, metal to metal.  I'm not confident that the rings are biting enough to hold up to the riggors of hunting.  Should I start over with Leupold rings or wrap scope with some form of tape to allow rings to get a better hold???
Any suggestions appreciated.
Sockeye3

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Leupold VXIII with Burris Signature Rings..
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:11:34 PM »
I seldom ever use anything but Signature rings. Never had one let a scope slip before. You don't have to torque those ring screws until they break. I suspect you've actually compressed the plastic if you've got metal touching metal. It ain't gonna move.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 01:32:12 AM »
There is not need to have metal touching metal, what you will end up doing is damagaing the scope trying to do that. You will have indentations in the scope were the rings were.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sockeye3

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 03:30:08 AM »
I have mounted 3 different scopes using these rings and I never had metal touching metal.  The problem is when I set the top ring on and started threading the screws, there was very little room tighten before metal to metal.  I'm probably going to have to send the rings back because I know this isn't normal.  These are the signature rings with the synthetic inserts.  I'm not crushing the scope, in fact that's why I like these.  They leave absolutely no marks on your scope.  I'm just wondering if Leupold is making scope tubes slightly under 1" or did Burris have a flier on this one?  Both rings do the same exact thing and I'm wondering if the tube is actually small.  
Thanks guys.

Offline sockeye3

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 03:29:04 AM »
I think I solved the mystery.  I took the top halves off my varmint gun with the same type of rings and tried those.  They were much better and I had plenty of room after tightening the rings.  No metal to metal.  The only thing I can conclude is that the original set is out of specs.  I'm sending them back.
Thanks,
Sockeye3