Author Topic: Warranty cards  (Read 469 times)

Offline Shorty

• Trade Count: (0)
Warranty cards
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »
I don't buy a new gun very often, but when I do I'm reluctant to sent in the warranty card.  They just ask for too much information.  It's like registering your gun.  :shock:
I figure that, if it breaks, I'll just fix it myself.  :roll:
Well, that's just what happened with the Taurus M62 that I bought for my grandson last Christmas.
After over 500 rds, the tab on the firing pin that locks the breachblock when the pin is not depressed was worn out.  That left the breach unlocked while in the ready state.
Oh, how I wished I'd returned the warranty card!  :oops:
Anyway, I did fix it by, well that's another story. :wink:
Who else, out there feels the same about those warranty cards?

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Warranty cards
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 02:26:32 PM »
Unless I am mistaken, by law the manufacturer is required to honor their warranty regardless of wether or not you returned a completed warranty card.  You only have to prove that you are the original owner and the date of purchase, such as providing a sales receipt.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Siskiyou

Warranty cards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 03:45:03 PM »
As Brett stated that is the case in California.  I do not know if that is an issue of State, or Federal law, or both.

I normally do not send them in.  Many manufactures use those cards to gain information on buyers for marketing.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline fe352v8

• A Real Regular
  • Evolve or become extinct
Warranty cards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 04:16:11 PM »
The Magnuson-Moss Act (federal) does not require “registration”, as a condition of eligibility for coverage under a manufactures or sellers warranty.

As almost all federal trade regulation find a basis in the, “interstate commerce clause”, a state would be hard put to limit a consumers rights.  Almost all state laws provide for expansion of the terms of limited and expressed warranties given by a manufacturer or sellers, and many also provide for the application of an implied warranty, usually these include provision for “merchantability and fitness for their intended purpose”.

Keep your receipt as proof of purchase.

Life is no joke but funny things happen

jon
life is no joke but funny things happen

jon

Offline Shorty

Warranty cards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:56 AM »
Well, guys, I didn't know that!  Thanks for the education.
Still, before going through the hassle of returning a gun I'll determine if the repair is within the realm of my skill.  Sometimes, not often, being a machinist is an advantage.  :wink:

Offline Lawdog

Warranty cards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 11:01:28 AM »
Quote from: Brett
Unless I am mistaken, by law the manufacturer is required to honor their warranty regardless of wether or not you returned a completed warranty card.  You only have to prove that you are the original owner and the date of purchase, such as providing a sales receipt.

That's right.  That is why many firearms manufactures don't include warrantee cards with the products anymore.

Shorty,

If that Taurus M62 was still under the time period they would have had to fix it whether or not you turned in the warrantee card.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.