Author Topic: Teaching them right  (Read 948 times)

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Teaching them right
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:19:31 AM »
Last week I picked up a perfect little trainer for the boys ( two nines and a seven) a youth sized single shot 22.  What I am looking for are online resources for teaching gun safety and basic shooting to kids.  It is funny I have been shooting and hunting since I was 14, I like to think I am safe, but  I am not sure that I could teach it.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Teaching them right
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:41:18 AM »
You may be able to get a free VH tape from Remington or the NRA!

Offline doc S

• Trade Count: (3)
Gun Safety
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 04:48:42 AM »
The NRA has firearm safety tapes featuring "Eddy Eagle". I used to have one, but as my kids got older, I found a friend who needed it and passed it along...

God Bless,
Doc S
PSALMS 27
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
NRA Lifetime Member!

Offline xs pro-comp

• Trade Count: (0)
Teaching them right
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:35:28 AM »
Go to the CMP and USA Shooting Sports web sights. Lots of info and help there for teaching young shooters.

Offline North Nick

• Trade Count: (7)
Teaching them right
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 04:27:42 PM »
I introduced my girls to guns early.  My intent was to take the mystery out of guns.  I told them they can see / handle the guns anytime they want.  We go to the safe and they can handle anything they want. BUT I talk to them and demonstrate safe gun handling skills.  We talk about what to do if they find a gun or if they are at a house in which a friend shows them a gun.

When they were ready to shoot I took out my old Hunters safety stuff and reviewed it with them.  Once they are old enough I will take the hunter safety class with them.  In fact I am looking to become an instructors so I can teach their friends and other kids.  

I bought my a CZ 452 Scout for my 9 year old last Christmas (with Mom's approval of course  :-) ) She earns rounds by doing her chores, getting good grades, etc.  Then we go to the range and have fun.

Another tip I got from a friend was to use .22 bird shot the first couple of times out and use moving targets or pop cans.  Kids love instant feedback. It worked great.

I also put a cheap red dot on it to make it as easy as for them to hit something.  When she is older I will take the dot off and start working on iron sights.

We compete against each other.  She shoots of a rest and I shoot off hand.  We use a dueling post.  It is great practice for me and she gets a chance to beat me.  I take a lot of ribbing from her when she does beat me.

This is a fun time to introduce your kids to shooting.  Gets lot of advice and pick what seems right to you.

Good Luck,

North Nick
"It is the pressure of going against the wind that makes eagles, planes, and kite soar" - Howard E. Hyden