Author Topic: Cleaning an old bore by electrolysis  (Read 721 times)

Offline Squire Robin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cleaning an old bore by electrolysis
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:40:12 PM »
I'm not saying this is the best way as I've never done it before, but this is what I did and it worked for me :grin:

First up end the bore and empty out the loose stuff...

The bore will now look something like this...

Clean it out with a rotary wire brush on a long shaft, this is a 4" brush going down a 3.6" pipe...

It will now look like this. Extract the ball as best you can and then brush to the bottom...

A pressure washer will fetch out the stuff you loosen up. Mine is only 18" long an extension to reach the bottom end would be neat. Wear old clothes...

Put in your sacrificial iron anode, you want as much surface area as you can get and it must go all the way to the bottom. I'm using bits cut off a plastic bottle to stop it contacting the bore. Don't wrap it too well because it tends to remove rust only where it can "see" the anode. Connect the anode to the positive side of your battery charger, connect the negative to the cannon. Include an automotive bulb in the circuit, the bulb should come on only if you deliberately short the anode to the cannon...

Add electrolyte and the bulb will come on. I'm using washing soda, a large handfull to a bucket of water, the concentration is not critical. Leave it to electrolyse for at least a day. Red guck will float to the surface. The bubbles are a washing up liquid pollution, if your anode makes bubbles you are pushing too much current, smaller bulb required. If you use a hydraulic hoist don't rely on it overnight, add rope and make sure the cannon stays upright if the hoist fails. The electrolyte will go everywhere and I have a few new dents in the garage floor...

You'll need to empty it out, brush and wash out the black iron residue (black because you are reverting the rust to the original iron) once a day until you see metallic iron. Clean the anode with that pressure washer while you're at it. If there are any large lumps of stubborn rust down the bore, put and iron bar up against them and hit it with a hammer until they surrender. I eventually cleaned the bore with washing up liquid, brushed and pressure washed and here it is, rust free iron. You can just make out the constricted powder chamber and hemispherical bottom end...

I really wanted to get some rust preventer in at this point. I've ordered wax oil but it hasn't arrived in time, so I may need to do this one again for an hour or so.

best regards

Squire Robin

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 01:17:10 PM »
Good show Squire! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 01:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Powder keg
Good show Squire! Thanks for taking the time to share.

I will confess. I was doing the post for the ML Forum but they have a 5 picture per post limit and it was much easier to write and edit on here  :shock: :grin:

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »
I was hoping you'd put this up when I saw the one frame on one of your other posts.

Electronic bore cleaners - for rifles - have been on the market for a few years here.  A much smaller scale on much less problematic bores.  They are limited to 1.5v to keep the bore from eroding, but de-rusting is quite another issue.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)