Author Topic: Winchester Model 100 (.308) loading problems...  (Read 1629 times)

Offline mlb3427

• Trade Count: (0)
Winchester Model 100 (.308) loading problems...
« on: June 20, 2005, 06:19:17 PM »
Hi all - I'm new to the forums and fairly new to any type of guns in general. My grandfather gave me a Marlin .22 and a Winchester Model 100 .308 a few years back and I've only recently begun using them.

One problem I'm noticing with the Winchester (it's auto-loading) is that cartridges consistently get jammed. The spent cartridge ejects, but the new round doesn't load properly.

I've shot the rifle only twice now and it was cleaned before each use, but not stripped down entirely. The rifle is quite old, though I'm not sure of the year of manufacture. I'm thinking, however, that there's got to be some way to make this thing work properly.

Does anyone know of a specific instruction manual for completely stripping it down and cleaning? Or perhaps grand-dad missed a recall 30 years ago? Sorry for so elementary a question, but as I said, I'm only not well-versed or experienced with firearms.

Any suggestions/notes are quite welcome.

Thanks,
mlb3427

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Winchester 100
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 04:45:55 AM »
I had the same problem in 1978 when I bought a used rifle in this make/cal.  Never could get it fixed and finally sold the gun.

Offline Fullchoke

• Avid Poster
Winchester Model 100 (.308) loading problem
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 03:38:44 PM »
I'm thinking you should take this one to a competent 'smith. There was a recall involving the firing pin.

I think the jamming is a different problem, but if you are not experienced with this rifle, you don't want to tear into this one.

There are no elementary questions concerning safe firearms operation :D

Offline mlb3427

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 06:48:53 AM »
Thanks all - and for the encouraging words (indeed, there are no elementary questions when it comes to firearms safety).

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »
my best friend has a M100 .308 and his works flawslessly, its his deer gun too. He wants me to reload for him, but i can't find a sutible bullet nor wether or not i must crimp (if i don't then that really opens up the bullet choice)
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 08:24:57 AM »
On your win 100 i`d give that magazine a hard look.
               Make sure it "fits"and locks in place and you have
               ample spring pressure to move the next in line shell  
               into the proper trajectory for loading.
               Just a thought.  
                I had one, Win 100 that is .........to dam(n) heavy.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 07:31:57 PM »
Well
Are you using factory loads  or reloads ?

Found the rifles need to have a small base die used , and also watch that your overall lenght is is correct so the bullet does not engage the rifling .

The bolt should pick up a cartridge and slam it home . If the case is tight , or the spring a bit weak, it is not going to happen.

You could try a few remington  factory loads as these bullets seem to come from the factory pump/ lever / Auto friendly, so somtimes all it takes is a box of remington brand bullets.

Funny  :)  how this the last bit of advice solves issues one might have with Browning and remington rifles too.
Happy

Offline obxmike

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
Hey mlb...just ran across your post ( a little tardy, sorry). I had one in the same caliber, and you really have to "slap" the magazine in to get it to seat correctly. I inserted it to the point that it stopped and then popped it with the palm of my hand. It has a pretty strong clip/catch that holds it in, and you can't be shy about seating it.
If that doesn't work, or if you want it as a spare, I happen to have an original mag for it right here in my desk drawer....funny how these things just pop up in the oddest places...
Post back if interested and I'll be glad to get it to ya.
It's a fine firearm. Enjoy!
Mike