Author Topic: Help with my mortar - need some load suggestions  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Sugarfoot

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with my mortar - need some load suggestions
« on: October 30, 2005, 02:52:34 PM »
I have had this golf ball mortar for some time now and am just now getting around to building a carriage for it. As you can see it is tapped for a musket nipple and now I am trying to figure the best way to ignite the caps. Any ideas???
Thanks, Sugarfoot

Thanks everyone for the input on carriage and ignition ideas. I've just about finished my carriage going with a more traditional look like Double D's. I have also drilled out the nipple to accept a fuse for the time being. I haven't given up on some kind of spring activated devise to snap a percussion cap or a version of the "clappers" that I found on previous posts, but I'll get back to that project later.

I want to test fire it this weekend, for big boom effect only with no projectiles. What is a good starting point using Goex ff, or do I need to make a trip to buy some single f?

Thanks

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Help with my mortar - need some load sugges
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 02:57:58 PM »
Sugarfoot -

WELCOME to the board!

I predict that you'll see a fist full of pictures within a day or so - of how others have approached this.  

Which way is best - that will depend on your base - it may offer some locations to mount the 'slap-hammer' .
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 03:07:32 PM »
What kind of mount are you going to use?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Sugarfoot

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 03:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I havenÂ’t yet decided what type of carriage yet, but am looking at these two designs. I guess at this point I can design a carriage around the ignition system. What would you suggest?
Thanks, Sugarfoot

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »
Pick the one that looks like you HAVE to OWN one!
Then consider ignition.
Flip a coin.

Wait for a few pictures to arrive.  There are several ways of doing it ( you might want to browse through a few hundred posts/threads here too ).

Both those styles offer some good possibilities.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:12:16 PM »
Sugarfoot,

I know some may like this reply but, I feel (depending on how the nipple is attached) that you should either cut it off or, enlarger it to accept a 1/8" fuse.

A mortar of that size would probably flip backwards as you pull the cord to ignite the percussion cap (This could be a bad thing)  :eek: . Also, a mortar should be at a 45 degree angle to the bed which, may make the percussion fixture awkwards but not difficult.

As, for the bed for the mortar. Since, the tube is of confederate style I feel that you should just make a solid flat confederate stlye bed. I'm sure someone will post a photo. However, the bottom line is which do you like best. If, you like the sled style then stick with that.

The tube looks like a nice little mortar so, I wish you the best of luck, be careful and enjoy launching your golf balls.

Keep us informed on your progress.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:00:56 PM »
If you're planning to shoot your mortar in the field, you will want to get a piece of 3/4" plywood about 2 feet square to use as a shooting platform.  By drilling 5/8" holes in the corners, you can stake it down with 100 penny nails (1/2 dia x 12" long spikes).  Make a rectangular arrangement of cleats to hold the mortar in position.  The firing mechanism can be attached to the platform so you aren't jerking the mortar while firing it.  

Since the firing mechanism isn't part of the mortar, you could even spring load it so your pull is only releasing the hammer rather than powering it.

One thing you need to consider is being able to clean the vent after each shot.  If the nipple is loosely threaded, you can unscrew it by fingers and clean.  You might consider having the nipple a slip fit in the hole with a wire tied to the nipple and the mortar so it doesn't get lost while firing.  That way you could clean easily (and no threads to clean) and replace easily.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline rifleshooter2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »
Cannon-Mania has these which work pretty good

or you could make one like I did

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 02:28:22 AM »
I'm with intoodeep, get rid of the the nipple and just use a fuse.  The small mass of the golf ball mortar doesn't provide enough resistance to the force of pulling a lanyard to make it steady enough to shoot with a slap hammer. Bluntly unless securely anchored as George suggests, it will move when the lanyard is pulled.  

George also is right about dealing with the vent.  You will have to have a way to deal with cleaning the vent.  You could drill out the nipple for the vent pick

Because of the  smaller size of the mortar a firing mechanism of sufficient size to fire a cap would be out of proportion to the rest of the gun.  

As to bed.  Here is a picture of a Confederate Cohorn with its fuse shield in place. Your mortar tube is a natural for this pattern.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 10:13:49 AM »
What about a long handled ball-peen hammer  :)

I would go with fuse.  It is easy and cheep.  

For the base go Confederate.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 11:41:31 AM »
What about a long handled ball-peen hammer?

Not a bad idea, really.  Not like there is going to be a big charge in a golf ball mortar.  The only question would be do you have to hit it hard enough to move the gun?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 12:42:09 PM »
Does this look right?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 12:48:14 PM »
Interesting -

I like the one in the foreground - locating pin on the side to align with the touch hole.  Would be cool to see the other side of the mechanism.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Squire Robin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer
Would be cool to see the other side of the mechanism.

I only have the one image, may have some video, not sure. I was actually photographing something else.

If, like me, you have a collection of old gun stuff which you think is pretty neat, you really don't want to see what's in the rest of that case :eek:

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 03:14:42 PM »
SR,

You could make something like this.

This soda can mortar hammer has an aluminum base,  stainless hammer and, the tube is drilled to fit a large shotgun primer.

Maybe you could conn someone into making one for you.

Kap

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 03:39:52 PM »
Quote from: kappullen

the tube is drilled to fit a large shotgun primer.

In operation does it usually or always blow clear when fired?  Also is it removable if one chooses not to fire it?
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »
cw,

Yes, it blows clear like a friction primer.

You can remove the primer with a penknife on the flange as it is a loose fit in the hole.

The lock is screwed on.

Safety first!   Keep clear of the muzzle and breach of a mortar.

kap

Offline Sugarfoot

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 02:22:49 PM »
btt with a new question.

Thanks everyone for the input on carriage and ignition ideas. I've just about finished my carriage going with a more traditional look like Double D's. I have also drilled out the nipple to accept a fuse for the time being. I haven't given up on some kind of spring activated devise to snap a percussion cap or a version of the "clappers" that I found on previous posts, but I'll get back to that project later.

I want to test fire it this weekend, for big boom effect only with no projectiles. What is a good starting point using Goex ff, or do I need to make a trip to buy some single f?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 03:28:05 PM »
Sugarfoot,

Since, this is a Mortar. I think that you will be disappointed with the "Big Boom".  Here are a couple of videos of mine shooting. You can get an idea of the sound. These were with golfballs.

http://www.geocities.com/miniscamp/Stainless_Mortar.wmv
http://www.geocities.com/miniscamp/Gunsmoke_mortar.wmv

I have only used Fg for my mortars.  When, I have launched golfballs, my load starts at approx. 50gr. and goes to 75gr. depending on the range. However, I would suggest that you start a little smaller and work your way up to a comfortable load.

Be safe and we look forward to your final product.  :D

Oh, I guess I forgot. Does your mortar have a powder chamber??? All of mine stated above do.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 07:54:46 PM »
Sugarfoot,

Give us the diameter of your powder chamber and we will look the maximum charge up for the your mortar.

Offline Sugarfoot

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 06:36:59 AM »
The diameter of the powder chamber is 1".

Thanks for the video's. It makes sense to me now that I think about it, that mortars sound more like "thunk" than "boom"!

Sugarfoot

Offline Double D

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 06:52:22 AM »
Maximum load for a 1 inch chamber is 180 grs. That is your blank load with no wad or projectile

With a ball I would start with 90 grs and adjust based on where the ball lands.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 08:35:09 AM »
Intoodeep,

IÂ’m puzzled by the lack of boom in your videos. I have one of those gunsmoke golf ball mortars, and IÂ’m getting a nice boom when firing mine (golf ball projectile in front of 80 grains of Goex 1F).  Nothing ear shattering, but a deep, loud satisfying boom nevertheless.  I have duplicated the whoosh you are getting, but those were blank loads without any wadding. My blank loads with wads produce a deep thump.

HereÂ’s a nighttime clip of a blank shot with the gunsmoke mortar: