Author Topic: need help standing up new ladder stands  (Read 959 times)

Offline greenheadwoody

• Trade Count: (0)
need help standing up new ladder stands
« on: March 06, 2003, 11:17:01 AM »
I have built to ladder stands 16ft and 14ft. I also will be building a box stand 14ft tall.  I need some tricks to stand them up.  The ladder stands are pretty heavy they were built from angle iron.  The box stand will be extremely heavy do to all the metal and wood to support it.  I have thought of pulling them up with my truck.  But I would like to know it anyone has any tricks or advice they can give me.  

PS My buddy has a cabelas stand made out of box tubing very light and nice but it cost $80 dollars.  What a rip off I can build 2-3 for that price and customize them to what I like.

Offline greenheadwoody

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 04:56:47 AM »
anybody there :lol:

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 05:28:10 AM »
Greenhead:  Yes I am here and the way we stood a wooden tower stand back up after it was blown down was to put it on a low boy trailer back the trailer into position, hook a pulley up into the tree above the height of the stand attached a heavy rope to it and to the front end loader of the tractor and was able to lift and pull at the same time.   How much does the stand weigh? is it so heavy that 2 or 3 stout men cant work it up?  I hope you were planing on these being permenent stands as it sound like it could be a lot of noisy work for just a weekend hunt.  Good luck :D   JIM

Offline greenheadwoody

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 09:21:30 AM »
nope it will be there for many years to come/  yeah 2 or 3 guys could stand it up ( the ladder stands) as for the box stand it will take a come-a-long or truck to pull it up.  just wanted to get some input so as not to drop them (hopefully)

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 12:46:03 PM »
I fully understand we built the one I was talking about for 2 people to hunt out of so a father could take his son/daughter hunting and its 16 feet to the floor 6x6 floor with sides all treated lumber and b-4 we finished it up we had a late spring storm come thru and blow it over so we had to stand it up rather than take it apart and rebuild it.  If you are using come-alongs use some good ones or tie off as you go with the less the good ones in case they let go on you those cables are not the best. :D   JIM

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 11:01:34 AM »
One thing is for sure... be sure you have enough help no matter how you do it... The ONLY tree stand accident (only hunting accident) I have had in nearly 50 years of hunting was caused my my not having enough help taking down a Warren & Sweet ladder stand. I had only one person on the ground holding the ladder, and when I released the top strap, it spun around the tree and tossed me off. I held on and slid down part way, but fell a good 12 feet. This was a couple of seasons ago... and it will NEVER happen to me again, even if I have to resort to ground hunting... Take plenty of help!!
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE