Author Topic: hornady 50 gr. v-max  (Read 590 times)

Offline rp85

• Trade Count: (0)
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« on: November 02, 2005, 07:50:07 AM »
hello;

run out of nosler 60 gr. bullets for my 223 rem.  can't find any here in town.  anyone use the hornady 60 gr. v-max for deer hunting.  thanks for any input.

rp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:11:36 AM »
The Vmax is a varmint bullet, not designed for deer. Most states don't even allow .22 cal rifles for deer hunting, and for good reason, but for those that do, I'd recommend either the 60gr nosler partition or one of the heavier per caliber soft point bullets, but certainly not a varmint bullet. I would also recommend limiting shots to under 100yds and clean, broadside lung shots, not shoulder shots.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/centerfire_22_biggame/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
The Vmax is a varmint bullet, not designed for deer. Most states don't even allow .22 cal rifles for deer hunting, and for good reason, but for those that do, I'd recommend either the 60gr nosler partition or one of the heavier per caliber soft point bullets, but certainly not a varmint bullet. I would also recommend limiting shots to under 100yds and clean, broadside lung shots, not shoulder shots.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/centerfire_22_biggame/

Excellent response ... I agree 100%
:D

Offline rp85

hornady 60 gr. v-max
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
hello;

thanks for the input.  grand-daughter could not handle the recoil of my 243 handi, so i purchased a 223 rem. handi.  hunting small food plots, shots @ 75 yds. or less.  the 6 point that came out last sat. was at 15 yds.  noslers are hard to come by in my area.  thanks again.

rp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:51:06 PM »

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »
You could also try the solid base bullets, but they are lighter than 60 gr.
Nosler Online Store

Offline Ed in AL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 04:39:31 PM »
Darn you Ed, I was keeping that a secret, they ain't gonna last forever, ya know!!!
 :wink:

Offline Ed in AL

hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 05:15:56 PM »
Sorry Tim, I almost didn't post that. :wink:

I have never bought from them, but will the next time I need more bullets.

Ed

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 06:11:16 PM »
I just bought 5 bags of em, great buy!! :wink:

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 06:38:12 PM »
I really have no use for Nosler, after what they did to the reloader when they brought out their ballistic tip bullet.

For a very brief while, they were available at the bigger shooting supply houses.  Then, they became ultra-scarce, due to being loaded by the factory ammomakers.  For over a year you could not buy a ballistic tip bullet in 22 or 6mm for love or money, unless it was already seated in a factory round.  

Fortunately, Hornady brought out their v-max bullet during this time.  I swithced to them and have never looked back.  I have also not bought or used a Nosler bullet since.  If I want a good bullet, the Hornady line of Interlock bullets work outstanding. I shot a 4 point bull elk from 200 yds with my 338 win. using a 225 grain Interlock over 70 grains of IMR 4831; this bullet hit the near-side femur and passed through the paunch, leaving a 2-inch-diameter exit wound.  Not the best shot I've ever made, but that animal was paralysed; all he could do was stand there while I sat down, tucked in, and put the next round through his chest, whereupon he dropped.  He was thoroughly dead when I got to him about a minute later.  When we boned him out, 12 inches of that femur was shattered into pieces ranging in size from about as big as my thumb, on down to a grain of sand.  Any bullet that can do that type of smashing damage and then continue on to pass through an animal the size of a bull elk, is good enuff for this guy.

To heck with Nosler and their fancy high-dollar partitions.

However, no way would I recommend using any varmint bullet in a 223 for harvesting deer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 06:43:32 PM »
That'll teach em a lesson, eh Mike! :wink: Maybe the lack of demand will reduce the price for me!!! :grin:

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
hornady 50 gr. v-max
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 07:05:28 PM »
Yeah right--

But, I do know that whenever I need bullets I'll be looking for Hornady products first.  When I wanted several thousand varmint bullets to get ready for a hunt, and having been exposed to the Noslers, then unable to find any, that sorta ticked me off.  

Like, "here's the best thing to come down the pike--try it!!  Then-hey!! you're just a lowly reloader(just happens that Nosler's bread-n-butter was up until then the guy with a press and dies in his shop not the big boys) so pound salt until we're ready to sell you our new wonder bullet--and by the way we're also raising the price.  

The two guys I hunted with for years will buy nothing but Nosler Ballistic tips for varmints,  it's a free country a guy can buy whatever bullet he wants.  I just don't like being teased.  I also know who my friends are, and I support them any way I can.

Guess I'm just an 'ol grudge-carryin' varmint myself; but it felt good to vent.