Author Topic: Unusual question for unusual situation  (Read 340 times)

Offline oldhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Unusual question for unusual situation
« on: November 06, 2005, 02:40:04 PM »
My son-in-law is mounting an offset scope on his Winchester 94, 30-30 and has discovered that although the new mount will allow the spent brass to eject out the top of the rifle, when the caps are screwed on the scope that cover the vertical & horizonal adjustments, the brass will hit the horizonal cover and not eject correctly.

If the scope is rotated so that the vertical adjustment is pointing to the left and the horizonal adjustment is pointing up thus allowing the spent brass to eject, will the scope perform correctly?  If so, would he now move the vertical adjustment to correct the horizonal and vice versa?

I know it seems crazy  but what else can he do!!  Any suggestion would sure help as both he and I know very little about this type of thing.

oldhunter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Unusual question for unusual situation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 05:48:40 PM »
Yes it will work that way. Just have to be real sure you know that you have to move the R-L for vertical adjustment and the U-D for horizontal.

Reminds me of a story. Saw a guy at the range many many long years ago trying to sight in his thutty thutty. He had the scope reversed as you propose but he thought it was right. He just couldn't understand why every time he clicked in the needed adjustment it went way off somewhere else than expected. He fired up about 4 or 5 boxes of ammo trying to sight it in before I happened to have a discussion with him and saw the rifle. He said he was gonna take that scope off and throw it away and go back to the factory irons as he knew they were right. I thought about telling him what he had done wrong but figured anyone who'd do it and not realize it really should be using irons.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!