Author Topic: Hammer Spring Replacement  (Read 549 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Hammer Spring Replacement
« on: November 13, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
With Tims Help, I secured a hammer spring and replaced the one on my 38-55..... Oh Sweet Happiness Again :grin: Rifle didn't misfire once today and the primers are deeply and most definately hit, and the primers were Large Rifle Primers! Joy, Joy, Joy and to boot, the group has tightened up another half inch or so.

Comparing the old spring to the new, for those who don't know, the spring is a coil with two tails, the long tail rides on a ridge inside the frame, the shorter tail pushes agaist a pin on the hammer. Laying the new over the older, aligning the long tail, the short tail had relaxed, there was a 3/16" difference in the locations. I would estimate that this frame had on the order of 1500 rounds through it when the trouble first began, and at present has about 2500 through it. Easily 10% of the last 100 rounds had misfired, requiring a second strike. I figure the replacement of this spring is going to become routine at the end of each summer. Would be a bad thing to be in the stand and get a click when expecting a bang :eek: Would prolly happen on that once in a lifetime 200 inch ten pointer, and he would give me the raspberries as the trotted off smiling :roll:
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc