Author Topic: How close  (Read 549 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
How close
« on: November 28, 2005, 08:00:55 AM »
Hey guys:

Got to thinking about something. A lot of people want to shoot a buck from 200-300 yards away. My question is this , how close have you stalked big game. I ask because i have recently begun to duck hunt , jump hunt, I have to sneak as close to the ducks before I shoot them. I never realized how fun it was to stalk something............just to see how close you could get. any thought or stories would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: How close
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:01:40 AM »
Quote from: nealglen37
Hey guys:

Got to thinking about something. A lot of people want to shoot a buck from 200-300 yards away. My question is this , how close have you stalked big game. I ask because i have recently begun to duck hunt , jump hunt, I have to sneak as close to the ducks before I shoot them. I never realized how fun it was to stalk something............just to see how close you could get. any thought or stories would be appreciated.

Thanks

I like to shoot some long distances myself, but this year I have stocked to within 20 yards of some deer just to see how close I could get. I try to use all the cover possible. I have not shot any due to just having fun. I find it more of a challenge to just sneak up and then pull the gun up and say bang. But if it is a trophy, the trigger would be pulled. Although I have in the past stalked deer and shot several.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
How close
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:23:56 AM »
I hunt a 19,000 acre WMA that is nothing but mesquite flats , sagebrush, and juniper bushes. There are some huge white-tails and mulies both there and it's archery only. The deer have no set patterns or well established trails so it's mainly spot and stalk hunting. Last year I was within 10 yards of a 170 class 10 point but couldnt get a shot for the brush. Stalking and still-hunting IMO is hunting in its purist form. Whether or not you harvest an animal doesnt really matter ,the experiences you have are priceless.
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline Daveinthebush

Closest
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 10:53:33 AM »
The closest that I walked up on a deer was a crotch horn that I shot at 5-6 feet with my Contender as he lay in his bed looking away.

With the bow............... I had a buck walk right at me and stopped so close I could not raise the arrow as I would have hit him.  He spooked and I ended up shooting him at 45 yards.

No brag....just fact. As the Duke would say.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
How close
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:01:27 AM »
I've never stalked closer than 70 yrds, and that was almost an accident as I was walking out for lunch and saw the deer coming and eased up to get a better shot with an old black powder rifle.  I have, however, been on the ground and had a doe sniff me from INCHES.  When I was about 15 I made a ground blind in a tangle of wild grape vine,  kind of cleared out the middle so it looked kind of like a giant bird nest, about waist high.  I had already used my doe tag for the year and she came up and actually put her head over the edge of the blind to get a good sniff.  The thing is she never did spook. Just stared for a while, then made her way on by.  I have wondered if she had been tamed at some point or been in a rescue, or maybe was on the short branch of that genetic tree.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
How close
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 07:24:49 AM »
:D I like to be as close as I can to make a shot. Bow hunting is good because you have to get close. I've had deer walk within feet while turkey hunting. Weather conditions affect my stalking so does the areas I hunt. On the small farm I'm hunting this year there isn't room to stalk without interfering with other hunters. :D

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
How close
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
Here in Ohio you can not use rifles to hunt deer, so you have to be close anyway.. I have gotten as close as about 6 feet from a bedded doe once during a light rain.
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
How close
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 08:44:54 AM »
I'm in an area that I can't really get away with stalking during regular firearms season.  Too danged many other hunters out there.  I had a doe walk up to about 8 ft two years ago.  

Best ones I had weren't deer related.  I had a weasel climb up onto my boot while sitting stand one day.  He'd have probably hung out for a while if I hadn't sneezed.  Another time, I was turkey hunting and a grey squirrel hopped into my lap and climbed around on my gun, eventually peeking down the barrel.  I was chewing on my lip to keep from busting a gut laughing at the little guy.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....