Author Topic: Gun season opens next weekend!  (Read 428 times)

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun season opens next weekend!
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:04:09 AM »
Gun season for deer opens next weekend here in the promised land so I thought I'd get out early while it was cold to check the zero on my 45.70..and the other rifles....As I'll be hunting on a thick bowater lease, a shot over a hundred yards would be possible but highly unlikely..........Haven't fired the 45.70 in a month or so.........

So......1895 Marlin in 45.70........Leupold VX-III 1.75 X 6 with the scope set at 6.....Weaver see thru mounts.........Shooting factory 300 grain Remington hollow points..............4 shots in 5/8 inch but when I add in the 5th....opens the group to 1 5/8" but is centered where it needs to be............I think I pulled the flyer......as the scope hit me on the bridge of the nose.....just a very small amount of blood........really, I'm very pleased........4 out of five that would touch a nickle.........No doubt well with in "minute of deer".........

Also took a Ruger 77 ultra light in .243 which had been giving me fits.....The old trashco which shifted poi has been replaced......after the new nikon prostaff fixed 4X scope, the rifle now shoots a five shot group right at an inch with factory winchester 100 grain ammo......take out the one flyer, and it's 1/2".........I've worked on this rife for years......glass bedded several times and different ways...., free floated......2lb trigger......really nice now that it has a scope that stays put...I think a good hand load would make this rifle shoot very well........but we all know you can't kill a deer with a .243........right?

The Savage 110 in .270.......walmart package gun, cheap simmons scope.... shooting 130 grain remington corelots.........five shot group of 1.25".............I think a new fixed 4X will be going on it when I can work it into the budget.........

I checked the zero on the Remington 7400 also a .270 last week......usual 2" group with factory Remington 130's.........this gun wears a Trashco 3X9 and might do better with a different scope but still with in minute of deer.......

I still need to get back to the range and make sure the Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is where it needs to be......... haven't fired it in a couple of months but was hitting a coffee can at 100 yards the last time out.......should be ok......ghost ring set up on this little carbine.....

The SIL's are due in Friday night........I usually let them pick which rifle they want to use but this year I'm not sure I'll give them first pick......I'm taking the 45.70.......I don't think they want to tangle with it anyway.......I keep thinking one of these days they'll buy their own rifles..........They do a pretty good job of keeping the grand kids fed and clothed....daughters seem happy.......so I don't mind loaning them a rifle, or taking them hunting.   As long as they do that I try to treat them like sons......I can't wait for the grand sons to get a little older......Now if my son can make it in we might be able to make a memory or 2!

I've spent a few days out on the lease.......Haven't seen a trophy, but there seem to be plenty of eating sized deer around.........

Ain't this time of year wonderful?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Sounds like a happy family reunion to me. I'm ready too, The Tikka .30-06 is hitting good. I have two slug guns that shoot real well for any of my buddies that need a shooter. I cleaned my four wheeler up yesterday checked the fluids and adjusted tire pressures, gassed her up etc. I also mounted my gun holder on it. I put new wheel bearings in my utility trailer, checked all the lights ect. This morning I helped my brother clean up the camper and get it all ready to go. Now I'm washing all my hunting clothes and going through the rest of my goodies. I can't wait for opening day, I live for this. Spend time with family and friends having fun,fun,fun.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:50:12 AM »
Our season starts tuesday.  The rifle season lasts for 2 weeks.  I took off all this week and next week.  Never took so much time in my life, but I finally figured why not?  It may take that long to see a buck in the area I hunt.  Gotta compete with the wolves, winter kill and a few other things that have the deer herd way down in my area.  I am really looking forward to it.  Will be switching between my 7m-08 and 280.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 05:26:21 AM »
Ours starts a week from tomorrow. My primary will be my 7600 7mm-08 pump. I'll also have my M70 classic stainless 30-06. For close in I'll have my S&W 686 .357. I'm going to let a friend use my S&W 629 .44 mag. He always gets pistol shots with his .300 WM.  :eek:  :)
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:04:20 PM »
NY state opens sat & I'm heading up friday with my 45/70 guide gun loaded with PMC's 405 hardcast load & my Rossi 357. Probly the Rossi will stay in camp but you never know.  :grin:
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!