Author Topic: Stock Alteration  (Read 482 times)

Offline Crudders32

• Trade Count: (0)
Stock Alteration
« on: November 11, 2005, 05:25:31 AM »
I thought that I saw somewhere on here about someone altering their factory stock and spiff it up a bit, adding a cheek piece and changing some of the lines alittle.  I think there were pictures of it and I can't find it anywhere now.  I was thinking about doing some work on my factory laminate stock and wanted to find these pictures again so I could get an idea of what to do.  I like the look of the gunstock inc stocks, but I am a left handed shooter and it doesn't seem that they make any of their stocks in left handed versions.  If someone could find like post that I am talking about and reply with the link I would really appreciate it.  Also does anyone knows of any aftermarket options for a left handed stock?  Thanks.

Offline jeff223

Stock Alteration
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:51:06 AM »
the butt stock on the 2nd one down has been changed some,it has some differant lines.as far as the "PALLET WOOD" stocks they get painted black or camo.this is an old picture so my step daughters 20ga still has the walnut stained PALLET WOOD on there but has since been painted black :)

OH also the 10ga has been painted camo too :) got to love that "PALLET WOOD"

the nice thing about these guns you can change or alter them with no trouble at all.
good luck

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Stock Alteration
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:55:41 AM »
Fred M is the one who redid the factory Laminated stock. It was on his .257 Roberts Handi and a GREAT job on the whole gun!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Stock Alteration
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 06:49:54 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Crudders32

Stock Alteration
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks guys.  Freds post was exactly what I was looking for.  I love how he removed wood from where your thumb wraps around the stock and also from the bottom of the stock behind the pistol grip.  The cheek piece is great, there is just something about a cheek piece that makes a gun stock look and feel twice as good without one, IMHO.  I emailed Fred to get some more specifics on how he went about customizing the stock and am planning on doing something similar to mine.  Thanks again.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Stock Alteration
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 09:46:46 AM »
There is one thing about this forum Crudders32, there is there is usually someone (or more than one) willing to respond with an answer...Sometimes it is even what you are looking for!!!!....<><.... :-D  :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Stock Alteration
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 04:37:10 PM »
How would you tell someone how to carve a stock. Just like I did. It is easy enough to tell what kind of tools to use. Like wood chisels, power tools and rasps and how to lay it out.

But there are thousands of little things that you do and see which will actually create the stock. Besides a custom stock take in all sorts of considerations and dimensions to suit the end user. You also need to know what looks good, is functional and is acceptable to the critical peruser.

These thing you have to study in books that deal with stock making. It is not something you can simply explain without writing a book. Good stock making is a hand me down tradition of stock makers their ideas and styles.

Even if you did duplicate my stock as is, on a stock duplicator it would not fit the majority of shooters. That is why stock maker takes measurements of your build, eye distance from the top of you shoulder the center of your master eye. length of pull.

Height of comb, pitch, drop at heel and toe, radius of the grip to suit your hand, distance from the center of the trigger to the front of the grip cap, location of your eys in relation to line of sight ( cast on or cast off).

From this information you make the stock, and with manual dexterity make a pleasing job of it. Hand checkering takes a lot of practice and good eye sight, I don't do checkering any more, I leave that to my friend.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.