Author Topic: Bevel Base and lube?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Jim 44-40

• Trade Count: (0)
Bevel Base and lube?
« on: November 15, 2005, 07:23:43 AM »
Hello to all,   When I lube a Lyman 250 gr with a bevel base on my 450 lubricater a small amount of lube fills the bevel up.There is no lube on bottom of bullet. Will this be a problem?

Offline John Traveler1

• Contributor
bevel base
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 07:56:28 PM »
Any lubricant on the base or bevel can contaminate the powder charge, especially if your loads are stored in hot weather.

For my purposes, if the loads are fired promptly at the range, I don't worry about the minor lube overflow.  For longer term storage, I make sure that each and every bullet base is wiped off before seating.

Your Lyman 450 lubricator/sizer has an adjustment for how deep the bullet goes into the sizer cavity.  Try adjusting that, and you should get zero lube on the bevel.

HTH
John

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 05:19:45 PM »
If you have a lathe, you can modify the ejection pin so it fits the bottom of the bullet closely. If you really want to get tricky with it, cut the cavity somewhat oversize and "bed" a bullet into it with epoxy. That way it'll fit exactly. No room for excess lube, no problem. Or you can just wipe off your bullets but that's a pain.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 01:57:31 AM »
Or you can buy a Star Lube Sizer.  They don't do that, and they are faster too.   But its a lot more expensive than the above solutions.

Offline JPH45

Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 12:49:56 PM »
or you can just put a gas check under the bullet, works fine, no hassle, no modifications required.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Nobade

Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 04:49:31 AM »
Where exactly does this gascheck go? What is it going to do to keep lube off the bevel base? You've got me curious.

Offline JPH45

Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 03:40:42 PM »
Just put the gas check on top of the lube die push stem/rod. It probably won't be perfect, but it will at the least reduce if not eliminate the lube that forms around the bevel. The check will not seat on the bulelt, there is no shank to allow that. One check will do many bullets, it is simply a seal if you would for the bevel.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Nobade

Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 04:23:29 AM »
cool, I never thought to try that. I learn something new every day! I'll give it a try next time I have to make up some BB bullets.

Offline Jim 44-40

Bevel Base and lube?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »
next time I go to a gunshow,might luck out and find some gaschecks to try on bevelbase. Hate to buy a bunch,don't have any gascheck molds anyway. Thanks for the info JPH45